Discuss Commercial or not in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I would RCD protect, it is commercial but skilled and instructed, not really. I do not like that definition and tend to feel it is only for technically qualified / aware people. But it does give a lot of get out clauses.

I agree with Richard. The skilled & instructed need to be aware of the risks associated with using non protected sockets.

RCD all the way IMO. It will be Joe Public using the rooms treating them as a home from home. They will be neither skilled or instructed (and quite possibly drunk). Appreciate it's mainly abroad but you hear horror stories about hotel deaths of guests where services aren't up to scratch!

Debate with a couple of guys, RCD it ? I say well why not, the counter was well guest are not likely to go hanging pictures or plug in mig welders, electric barbys. the skilled bit came up as any work being done would be maintenance staff or contractors
Pict

It is not work being done on the electrics that the skilled and instructed applies to it is the users of the power. Are the people plugging things in and switching things on aware of the implications of what they are using and are they going to be plugging in potentially dangerous items with worn cables, damaged plugs, etc. are they going to be taking off covers live to "see whats wrong".
I would say that in most commercial applications they are not skilled or instructed.
For most industrial applications they should be skilled and or instructed.
Bit of an oversimplification but the general idea is there.

I believe that the intent of the regulations is to ensure that if people use power sensibly and with understanding, then there is a minimal risk of an electric shock and so the nuisance tripping from 30mA RCDs occasioned by transient faults can be avoided by omitting the RCD.
Otherwise to protect users in cases where there is an enhanced risk RCDs should be used.

Debate with a couple of guys, RCD it ? I say well why not, the counter was well guest are not likely to go hanging pictures or plug in mig welders, electric barbys. the skilled bit came up as any work being done would be maintenance staff or contractors
Pict

Brings back fond memories of when I was out on a tour and turned a room in a fairly expensive hotel into a makeshift workshop!!

But actually, it does just go to prove a point that you never can predict what a hotel guest may do. Those camera crews and lights..........

Reply to Commercial or not in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock