Discuss Commercial permitted development - confirmation required in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

saint

-
Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone confirm the one meter rule from the external edge of the roof. i.e. what is the EDGE?

Is this from the panels to the ridge? i am assuming the edge is the sides and at the eaves.

I'm thinking the ridge is not the edge but confirmation would be appreciated.

Thanks

"the solar PV or solar thermal equipment would be installed on a roof and within 1 metre of the external edge of that roof;"

Devon planning do not decide the law they have to interpret it - correctly.

The relevant part of SI 748/2012 is the Schedule Part 43 Class A Clause A.1.(c)

"...the solar PV or solar thermal equipment would be installed on a roof and within 1
metre of the external edge of that roof;"

I would read it in the normal english use of the words 'external edge".

So I would definitely say a ridge within the plan area of a roof is NOT an external edge.

Eaves on the outside of the building are definitely an external edge.

Up for debate is whether internally facing eaves on an internal courtyard count as an external edge of the roof. I suspect planners might be reluctant to push the point if that were the only issue.

We are based in Exeter and have found the planning dept. very helpful. They interpreted the external edge as eaves and any applicable gable ends. They weren't concerned about the ridge unless the highest point of the system protruded higher than the highest part of the existing structure (eg the ridge) or 200mm from the roof plane (the same as domestic PV systems).

Hope this helps?

Reply to Commercial permitted development - confirmation required in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net