Discuss commercial testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

aaelectric

Done testing on a commercial premises and found the following observations.
1.Spotlights in bathroom not ip rated in zone 1
2.fan in bathroom in zone 1 not 12v
3.fire alarm supply connected from supply side of main switch in 2.5
4.circuit to shop sign could notbe located.
5.ring main no continous earth.no brown sleeve on light switch lives
6.lighting circuit in bathroom not rcd protected.
i have coded as followed
1-c3
2-c3
3.c2
4.c3
5.c2
6.c3
what code would you give. as it commercial im not sure about rcd in bathroom?
regards
aaelectric

i have coded as followed
1-c3
2-c3
3.c2
4.c3
5.c2
6.c3
regards
aaelectric

can you expand on point 3. fire alarm supply please?

i have coded as followed
1-c3
2-c3
3.c2
4.c3
5.c2
6.c3
regards
aaelectric

Think you'll find if this premises has living accommodation then it's treated as a domestic rather than a commercial premises and comes under the part pee crap!! Others will correct me if i'm wrong!! lol!!

They connected 2.5 t&e from supply side of main switch, with 25mm tails! to switched fuse
There is only a shower no on lives there its a massage parlour.
What about rcd in bathroom or fan in zone1

Why have you coded the 230 volt fan and the statement that its not permitted in Zone 1,is the IP rating not sufficient
What has "not 12 volt"to do with this installation

i have coded as followed
1-c3
2-c3
3.c2
4.c3
5.c2
6.c3
regards
aaelectric

1 - C2.
2 - No code.
3 - If fire alarm supply has standard 6A MCB upstream then no code.
4 - That's your problem. No code.
5 - No continuous earth? Needs expanding really.
5.1 - No code if installation is pre 16th ed. C3 if post 16th ed.
6 - C3 unless supp bonding arrangements are up to scratch. If so then no code.

I've no problem commenting on codes given in EICRs, most of the time it is down to personal professional opinion too, but the nature of your uncertainty and your question at the end suggest to me that you don't really know what you're doing.

Are you sure you're competent enough to be carrying out EICRs?

Hi skelton thanks to your reply. yes I am competent to do EIcr but sometimes you just need to make sure, as all installations are different . I mainly do domestics which i am Confident in. Why would you put no code for fan in design one that is 230. Also the noncontinuous earth is a ring main .lives and neutrals are a ring, this is a code 2.
Also shop sign power could not be found so would you just mentioned this in the report or cod it a 3

Hi skelton thanks to your reply. yes I am competent to do EIcr

Do you hold 2391 or equivalent?

I mainly do domestics which i am Confident in.

Maybe stick to domestic then? Competence and experience go hand in hand IMHO. As an example; you could be the best domestic spark in the world but if you've never worked on three phase, how could you deem yourself competent to do so? Similarly, if you are only used to testing domestic, there's nothing to say you're not competent to do so, but when you start asking questions like "Do the same regs apply in commercial installations?" you unfortunately open yourself up for people to question your competence to carry out work on commercial installations.

Why would you put no code for fan in design one that is 230.

It is perfectly acceptable to install 230V ventilation equipment in zone one providing it is IPX4 and meets all other requirements of BS7671. Pre 17th ed that would mean no 30mA RCD protection would have been required. (I'm assuming the install is pre 17th ed.)

Also the noncontinuous earth is a ring main .lives and neutrals are a ring, this is a code 2.

Whoa there! Why is it a code 2? Is there a potential danger to life there? This needs to be carefully assessed and calculated, you can't just whack a C2 down willy nilly! I'd be willing to bet that an adiabatic equation would prove the CPC to be more than satisfactory even if it isn't technically in a ring formation. If this is to be the case, I'd be hedging between C3 and no code, although which one I'm unsure of yet, I'd have to do a bit of electricians bible bashing.

Also shop sign power could not be found so would you just mentioned this in the report or cod it a 3

I'd do everything in my power to find where it was run, if I couldn't then I would discuss this with the customer and possibly note it as a limitation, however every situation is different. Just because you can't find a circuit doesn't automatically warrant a C3. If you can't find the source of a circuit's supply however, that is an entirely different matter!

aaelectric, can you expand on point 3 as per odawire's previous post. Daz

IGNORE THIS POST - I missed the one about 2.5 T&E and massage parlours :) Daz

Last edited:
so if 1.5 was connected to a 13amp fused spur from a ring final with a 32amp mcb you would not code that.

• Very common misconception especially among domestic sparks I find, I alwyays remind them of a busbar, you wouldn't take 95mm from a busbar to a 5a switch fuse would you?, most people can see that but can't apply it to a domestic situation.
    I got handed a load of repairs from minor tests on new build houses, on every one was a c2 for a cooker hood spurred from the cooker switch in 1.0mm, even though the switched spur was right next to the switch!

Do you hold 2391 or equivalent?

Maybe stick to domestic then? Competence and experience go hand in hand IMHO. As an example; you could be the best domestic spark in the world but if you've never worked on three phase, how could you deem yourself competent to do so? Similarly, if you are only used to testing domestic, there's nothing to say you're not competent to do so, but when you start asking questions like "Do the same regs apply in commercial installations?" you unfortunately open yourself up for people to question your competence to carry out work on commercial installations.

It is perfectly acceptable to install 230V ventilation equipment in zone one providing it is IPX4 and meets all other requirements of BS7671. Pre 17th ed that would mean no 30mA RCD protection would have been required. (I'm assuming the install is pre 17th ed.)

When reading the onsite guide recently I noticed that ALL equipment in zone 1 should be IPx5? It would seem to cover all fixed permanently connected equipment, although I have always gone on ipx4? anyone else noticed?[/QUOTE]

Reply to commercial testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock