Discuss Commercial in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DurhamSparky

right im not hooked up with commrcial work but got a first attempt at it today.

customer pretty clued up what he wants as been factory manager for decades and installed removed loads of equipment in his time, any how

requires

1x 3P 63a Supply terminated in a 3 phase switch isolator
1x 3P 32a Supply terminated in a 3 phase switch isolator

happily enough he has a DB that can accommodate my 2x 3 phase supply's and his two isolators are 1m either side of the DB so not a hard job on face of it.

his 68a Supply will feed a machine that runs at 6.6kw,
he never had plans on hand for other machine. :(

question is then,

for my 63a supply i will run in 16mm single core cables and terminate at one of these
63 Amp TP&N Rotary Switch Insulated Weatherproof - IP65

and for my 32a i envisage 6mm single core cable also terminated in one of them isolators.

what type of MCB would you fit type C or D
the Enclosure is Square D but im struggling to find the correct breaker?
and will any other make fit Square D!!???

Square D have released several MCB types over the years, They have 3 MCB styles currently on the market - Domea, KQ & SQO. Although the KQ & SQO look the same.

In the past the you had the QO & QOE`s there are 3 MCBs in this range which do look different, but have the same Electrical & Mechanical Fixings.
From the front: - one is black
one is grey with rounded corners
the last is grey has square corners & a yellow stripe

I would recommend you use a type C for your application.

KQ.jpg

SQO_TP.jpg

Couple of pics if that helps.

looks like the first one!! the newer version! i only had a quick glance at it, may have to return :(

is any other breakers fit square d???

Not q types as far as I know.

Spent ages looking for q type square d stuff before, found that recon electrical tend to keep a lot of older stuff that fits.

The one on the left, I tried getting a D type they're rare as rocking horse... they stopped making them before the breakers were phased out :(

Seen our firm paying £100 + for a single pole QOE RCBO. Scary or what.

When needs must ;) Think I've got to replace a whole load of Siemens boards in a distribution centre because they just can't get the breakers any more. I've already started to save every first Gen RCBO I find and then retire on the proceeds :D

Just a thought wouldnt it be easie and probably rto use SWA rather than having singles ?? good luck finding the breakers Iv just done a PIR n its OLD OLD Crabtree D Breakers worth a fortune if they were stripped out and had a job needing them pity its not a refurb Im on but I recon if i needed one the instore guy would help me out lol

right my job has gone from simple sockets to putting a whole new cable run in !! excellent

the chap wants 2x 32 isolators fitting approx 20m from DB on other side of shop floor,

Im going to install new circuits but was just checking as i have a mind fart would 4.0mm singles be suitable for 32a or is it 6.0mm cant remember! its supplying a single item of equipment rated at 24 amps ish..

Now THAT'S an idea and a half!

The ones to be buying at the momonet are MEM Eaton Memshield 2 breakers and RCBO units, the wholesaler was saying that they are getting them all sent back to MEM so they can be replaced with Memshield 3, then he showed me the prices for Memshield 1 breakers etc, I almost fell over so they must be doing the same thing taking them all back then charging a premium :D

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry i miss typed its 14amps for his band saw.....

im not good at typing...!! it pulls 2.8 - 3.4 KW.... currently wired up in 4mm when i went back to get more info about routes etc..!!

'C' type is generally ok for motors afaik

D for trafos/welders

you can size mcb/fuses accoring to motor size (there's guides online) and then cable size after that

volltage drop on startup can be a factor on long runs

i think it's about 20% allowed for startup

and then the standard 5% VD after that

Last edited by a moderator:
The ones to be buying at the momonet are MEM Eaton Memshield 2 breakers and RCBO units, the wholesaler was saying that they are getting them all sent back to MEM so they can be replaced with Memshield 3, then he showed me the prices for Memshield 1 breakers etc, I almost fell over so they must be doing the same thing taking them all back then charging a premium :D

ive just bought all the memshield 2 breakers from my wholesalers because they are the only ones that will fit that board and i fitted a fair few in the past 3 years of trading and dont want to be stuck when i got to add new circuits to the boards. the new memshield 3 are the same as moeller and contactum... not as good quality as memshield 2 though. i am thinking of changing to merlin to be honest.

regards
gary

Reply to Commercial in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net