Discuss commisioning fire alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sb8389

-
Reaction score
hi guys,
installed a fire alarm system today at a property that contains 3 self contained flats. I had EU fire alarm company out to go through the specification detailed by the council so we could design something that would be compliant with not only there spec but also bs 5839, now we have installed the system, would you advise we get the install commissioned by the company above who want 385.00+vat to commission the system?
whats involved in commissioning the system and is it something I could do myself or due to lack of experience in this field would you recommend getting it signed of by someone a lot more competent?
im just intrigued as to whats involved as for the price they want im guessing its a little more involved that just standard testing?

You just need the BS5839 part 1 and 6 it tells you all you need to know about commissioning, catch is they cost £500.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not that involved actually and for what it is that is a lot of money. However they may find deviations from the BS standards then it may get quite a lot more expensive.

It is not that involved actually and for what it is that is a lot of money. However they may find deviations from the BS standards then it may get quite a lot more expensive.
I hope they don’t find any deviations as they designed it for me, from your experience what process do you follow when carrying out the commissioning just so I know weather it’s something I’m capable off or not as I’m not willing to undertake something out my comfort zone.

Too late in the day to drag my BS5839 out and part 1 as well. It essentially has a commissioning cert in it and then some tests. But actually I decided to look for it and horror of horrors I can't find the part 6 one! Just moved and still not sorted out so you have made me go in a zerg of looking! Stand by.

Too late in the day to drag my BS5839 out and part 1 as well. It essentially has a commissioning cert in it and then some tests. But actually I decided to look for it and horror of horrors I can't find the part 6 one! Just moved and still not sorted out so you have made me go in a zerg of looking! Stand by.
Haha my bad pal just had look at the prices for the books, can’t believe the price and can’t find anything on eBay either

What Grade of system have you installed. Do the flats have a Part 6 system with a separate Part 1 system for the communal areas.

Check your PM.Essentially whatever system you have installed you are going to check the correct location and type of detectors/break glass call points, sound level of sounders and so on. And check the compliance with BS5839 noting any deviations and so on. But Check your PM will make more sense.

Yeh the price is insane for a sole trader but a large company they subscribe and get a whole load of BS standards. You can inspect them for free at Newcastle or some godforsaken place up north I hear, and on line if they have computers oop north. I did the C&G course and there is no way round it you have to buy the standards and if you are doing emergency lighting BS5266 et al so you don't get much change out of £1000!

The council have requested a grade A LD2 system in the communal areas with a heat alarm to the hallway off each flat.
They have then requested a grade D ld3 system to the flats, which to me only requires fire detection to escape routes only, no mention to install any heat alarm to the kitchen which I found strange.(the flat contains a hall, lounge, 2 beds and a kitchen so where do you install fire detection in those areas to comply with the given grading system they require).

Check your PM.Essentially whatever system you have installed you are going to check the correct location and type of detectors/break glass call points, sound level of sounders and so on. And check the compliance with BS5839 noting any deviations and so on. But Check your PM will make more sense.
Cheers for the PM pal, I have the relevant certificates through napit, it’s just understanding what I’m looking at really and covering my a**e should I say.

Commissioning is the final sign off for the fire systems. The commissioning engineer should check everything, design, installation and test everything to ensure compliance with the three standards involved: BS7671, BS5839-1, BS5839-6.
Whilst on the surface it may seam a lot of money, if commissioning is done correctly in flats and common area it will take them quite a long time.
In my humble opinion, if you wasn’t happy and confident to design the system in the first place, why would you now suddenly think differently for what is the most important sign off (especially if the council are involved).
Don’t even try it without a copy of 5839-1&6

Is this an HMO or a block of separate dwellings.

If you can read what I pm'd you then you will see exactly what it entails. I was in your position and thought I will bite the bullet and do the training which I did. The thing is no one told me to do this work you HAVE to have the standards at around a grand. Which I now have. But they are very clear and easy to reference I wish the BS7671 was set out like BS5839 it is very good indeed.

Commissioning is the final sign off for the fire systems. The commissioning engineer should check everything, design, installation and test everything to ensure compliance with the three standards involved: BS7671, BS5839-1, BS5839-6.
Whilst on the surface it may seam a lot of money, if commissioning is done correctly in flats and common area it will take them quite a long time.
In my humble opinion, if you wasn’t happy and confident to design the system in the first place, why would you now suddenly think differently for what is the most important sign off (especially if the council are involved).
I don’t disagree pal

I don’t disagree pal
Is this an HMO or a block of separate dwellings.
it’s a 3storey property with 3 self contained flats, not an HMO

In any event it is common practice to have stipulated an independent commissioning firm for the final cert as it is without vested interests.
And then there is the emergency lighting and the separate standards for that. I presume this came into the install?

Reply to commisioning fire alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock