Discuss Common grounding in audio cables? Theory suggests yes? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am currently studying a BA (Hons) in Music Production, and I have decided to build a new stage box to go on stage, to route microphones cables and power supplies from the stage to the original inlets underneath the stage.

I would like to use a 19-pin Socapex cable to make the multicore, but here comes the predicament.

Microphone cables are designed with a +/- shielded by a ground cable on the inside. As I am not an electrician, I would like to ask opinions, and/or facts, on whether or not I could shield all 8 +/- terminals with a braided copper sleeve, and use it as a common ground?

As far as I am aware, when the microphones reach the mixing desks they all share an common internal ground within the desk, so my theory is to reduce pin soldering, while maintaining a suitable noise cancellation shield.

For any other information, please don't hesitate to ask! Thanks in advance for your generous responses!

The -ve is common when I have ever bothered checking.

How do you study for a BA with honours? I thought you studied for a BA degree and were awarded honours if you cut the mustard.

My degree in engineering was 2 years to get the B eng then another year to get the honours.

Hi LeeH!

I did a two year HND degree with a BA top up year, will need to look in to whether or not I will get the (Hons) with that. However this project I am struggling with is my Honours project.

using the shield as a common ground implies bonding it a both ends
therefore becoming a current carrying conductor and will induce current in any other conductors within close proximity.
this would give you unwanted feedback in the amplifiers
correctly using shielding means bonding at one end only (the power supply end preferably)

we worked a lot with plc/slc controllers and believe me unwanted signals tend to make machinery do all kinds of crazy things, not a good thing with people around them.

Last edited:
Also, 19 pin Socapex connectors are used for Lighting/power/motor power circuits in most entertainment venues. By using them for microphone circuits, you run the risk of them getting mixed up and 230v appearing on the end of a microphone. 37pin Socapex connectors are more commonly used for audio signals

we worked a lot with plc/slc controllers and believe me unwanted signals tend to make machinery do all kinds of crazy things, not a good thing with people around them.

The programming must be terrible if circulating currents send a machine haywire.

Sorry, just had a look and it appears 37pin Socapex was used for old analogue lighting control. This would still be more suitable than 19pin Socapex, though.

Harting 42, 72 and 108 pin are what you want for audio. I believe there are others as well although most is being replaced by digital with ADCs in the stage box these days.

The programming must be terrible if circulating currents send a machine haywire.
the worst problem is when they(mechanics) change out a piece of equipment.
and forget to correctly set the parameters or need to install a sensor and mistakenly run it too near a heavy 3 phase load and use the wrong conductors for the job
(this caused me no end of headaches to go back and correct all the screw-ups)
and countless hours re-writing control programs
nearly wore my legs out kicking their arse's

Yeah I use Showsafe 19 Pin Connectors for lighting

Also, 19 pin Socapex connectors are used for Lighting/power/motor power circuits in most entertainment venues. By using them for microphone circuits, you run the risk of them getting mixed up and 230v appearing on the end of a microphone. 37pin Socapex connectors are more commonly used for audio signals

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys!

I am currently studying a BA (Hons) in Music Production, and I have decided to build a new stage box to go on stage, to route microphones cables and power supplies from the stage to the original inlets underneath the stage.

I would like to use a 19-pin Socapex cable to make the multicore, but here comes the predicament.

Microphone cables are designed with a +/- shielded by a ground cable on the inside. As I am not an electrician, I would like to ask opinions, and/or facts, on whether or not I could shield all 8 +/- terminals with a braided copper sleeve, and use it as a common ground?

As far as I am aware, when the microphones reach the mixing desks they all share an common internal ground within the desk, so my theory is to reduce pin soldering, while maintaining a suitable noise cancellation shield.

For any other information, please don't hesitate to ask! Thanks in advance for your generous responses!

Over a long run, you may get crosstalk although it's perhaps unlikely with balanced mic level signals. Most analogue audio multi cores have each pair screened though and most people use three pins per mic channel. I'd imagine it's done that way for a reason!

Reply to Common grounding in audio cables? Theory suggests yes? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock