Discuss Communication cable bonding requirements in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello new here so please be kind. Im not qualified but have had work checked and signed off by qualified electricians.
I have installed communications and video cabling throughout house using shielded cables and these require bonding from cabinet to earth to drain static etc. Can this earth cable be attached to lug in metal socket back box to get it to earth or does it need to go straight to earth so as not to possibly trip RCD protection in CU?

i would think that connecting your shields to earth locally would suffice. but can't be certain as i'm not au fait with comms and AV.

Hello new here so please be kind. Im not qualified but have had work checked and signed off by qualified electricians.
I have installed communications and video cabling throughout house using shielded cables and these require bonding from cabinet to earth to drain static etc. Can this earth cable be attached to lug in metal socket back box to get it to earth or does it need to go straight to earth so as not to possibly trip RCD protection in CU?
If yiu are trying to drain anything to earth then, probably best to connect to the MET, I'm no expert in Comms stuff mind you.

Agree with Pete I’d go to the MET to avoid issues with any in use circuits.

Interesting,connections to cat 6 metal plates,do these require an Earth,when there’s no actual earth there.

Interesting,connections to cat 6 metal plates,do these require an Earth,when there’s no actual earth there.
Theres no earth no, its just bonding from cables to the cabinet then cabinet has bonding. Normally connect to pipes but there PVC

Without seing your setup I would imagine something has to be powered maybe a DVR or hard drive these would have an earth lug at rear to give you an earth connection this should be enough if located in same coms cabinet

Why do they need to be earthed the only thing that may need earthing is the cabinet.

Reply to Communication cable bonding requirements in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock