Discuss Competent person and EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I`ve just had my annual coffee drinking exercise otherwise known as Part P assessment.

Obviously we discussed the weather, the price of fish and the new regs. No worries there.

One thing that my assessor did say however was that as of next year an electrician would need to prove his competence PRIOR to carrying out an EICR. According to him at least, as of 2016 only those electricians who hold CG 2391 or its new equivalent will be able to carry them out.

It will no longer be OK to just say you are competent, you will have to prove it.

Could be interesting, assuming he`s right,for those of us with 2391.

All I`m doing is saying what I was told by my assessor. I would guess it will be the usual shambles. Maybe, as most things are, it`s in conjunction with the insurance industry, your guess is a s good as mine.

The Nic assess you at the moment and then give approval for EICRs under you're registration with them only ,then you use their EICR certs , nothing to stop you doing EICRs on your own back , so what the guy is probably saying they will want you to have this for you're own registration with them , and they charge you extra of course for the privilege ,

What a load of tosh you assesor was saying. You dont even need an electrical qualifications to carry out electrical work so saying you need 2391 or equivalent is rubbish. Besides a qualifification doesnt automatically make you competant.

This will be funny then. The National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers will have members not authorised to carry out periodic inspection and testing (EICR). Very clear for joe public as usual. Love it!!. Maybe they should change it to NAAWS, National Association of Anyone with Screwdriver, it would make more sense really. :)

Dillb. You may well be right but that`s what he was saying.

I hold 2391 and have tested installations for 20 years or more. If it`s true, and I say "if" then how on earth they are going to police it is beyond me.

As far as competence is concerned I would agree. 2391 just shows you are more likely to be competent than someone without it.

Some of those guys are contractors anyway , getting paid just for the assessment , so I wouldn't believe all you hear ...

Shouldn't you be competent in everything that you do in your life? That is the problem. One man's competance is another man's incompetance. The whole term is idiotic. You should have been assessed as skilled in testing before you can test by an assesor. Same as we do in all other aspects of our lives.

Dillb. You may well be right but that`s what he was saying.

I hold 2391 and have tested installations for 20 years or more. If it`s true, and I say "if" then how on earth they are going to police it is beyond me.

As far as competence is concerned I would agree. 2391 just shows you are more likely to be competent than someone without it.

Very low pass rate on this course, found out a lot people.

Scams will just run in house training/qualifications with a 100% pass rate if you chuck £500 at them
and the certificate won't be worth the paper it is printed on. Just another way to fill up the board of directors of each scams pension pot. Any way wouldn't affect me as I have my 2391 :)

Reply to Competent person and EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net