Discuss CompEx 01-04 (Failed Ex04) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I sat the CompEx 01-04 course for the first time back in July. The results came in the post on Saturday and I have failed 1 of the 5 units -

Ex04: Inspection and maintenance of Ex i systems

Quite relieved if I'm honest as the installs are quite intense!

Does anyone have any tips for the inspection of Ex i systems? If I can remember they are looking for visual, close and then detailed inspection. I think it is required to find 5(ish) faults on each type of inspection.

Thanks.

I did my 5 year refresher about a week ago. Don't know if I passed or not, should find out soon.

I think for ex i inspections

Visual - enclosures should have blue is labels, damage to cables etc, missing blanks etc, ambient temperature correct for apparatus, equipment correct for zones.

Close - basically use the documents to check equipment is correct for the gas group, equipment manufacturers are correct, glands match specification etc.

Detailed - open the panels up check for loose connections , damaged or incorrect terminals, segregation of i.s and power circuits. zenner barriers round the right way, check terminations match drawings.

Make sure once you find a fault, or once you've found all the faults for 'close' etc you need to write down beside them what number on the inspection sheet they have failed.

Hope that makes sense, I've just switched to nightshift and my head is up my arse but If I think of anything else I'll post it up later

Chris

With 'Intrinsically Safe' keep an eye on the IS earth to make sure it is clean.
From memory they always have an IS barrier turned upside down.

Eg - Non IS circuit connected to the IS side of the barrier.

Most guys do struggle with this part of the course.

What centre did you take it in?

Are there not model inspection forms in your training material/toolbox guide?

It's not normally that tricky.

Is everything wired as per the drawing, have they used the wrong make/model of components. Is the screen wire grounded as per the drawing. Are spare cores grounded. Have they got IP washers and earth tags where they need them.

Hi My name is Jimbo, I'm struggling with the revision for my resit exams for Compex inspection Ex 02 power and Ex 04 IS inspection. tomorrow I'm getting old and tired so any help would be very much appreciated > I see you had some notes on the subject.
My e-mail [email protected]
Many thanks and kind regards
Jimbo

[/QUOTE]

I've got a few sets of notes on it if you PM me your email I'll try and look some out for you.

Reply to CompEx 01-04 (Failed Ex04) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock