Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss CompEx 01-04 (Failed Ex04) in the Electrical Courses & Electrical NVQ's area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. AyresomeBoro

AyresomeBoro EF Member

I sat the CompEx 01-04 course for the first time back in July. The results came in the post on Saturday and I have failed 1 of the 5 units -

Ex04: Inspection and maintenance of Ex i systems

Quite relieved if I'm honest as the installs are quite intense!

Does anyone have any tips for the inspection of Ex i systems? If I can remember they are looking for visual, close and then detailed inspection. I think it is required to find 5(ish) faults on each type of inspection.

Thanks.

2. christhescott

christhescott New EF Member

I did my 5 year refresher about a week ago. Don't know if I passed or not, should find out soon.

I think for ex i inspections

Visual - enclosures should have blue is labels, damage to cables etc, missing blanks etc, ambient temperature correct for apparatus, equipment correct for zones.

Close - basically use the documents to check equipment is correct for the gas group, equipment manufacturers are correct, glands match specification etc.

Detailed - open the panels up check for loose connections , damaged or incorrect terminals, segregation of i.s and power circuits. zenner barriers round the right way, check terminations match drawings.

Make sure once you find a fault, or once you've found all the faults for 'close' etc you need to write down beside them what number on the inspection sheet they have failed.

Hope that makes sense, I've just switched to nightshift and my head is up my arse but If I think of anything else I'll post it up later

Chris

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. timbobelfast

timbobelfast Electrician's Arms

With 'Intrinsically Safe' keep an eye on the IS earth to make sure it is clean.
    From memory they always have an IS barrier turned upside down.

Eg - Non IS circuit connected to the IS side of the barrier.

Most guys do struggle with this part of the course.

What centre did you take it in?

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. AyresomeBoro

AyresomeBoro EF Member

Thanks for the replies.

I done it at TTE Middlesbrough. Trying to get a re-sit date asap, the longer I leave it the more I'll forget!

5. Cbuk2k2

Cbuk2k2 Active EF Member

Are there not model inspection forms in your training material/toolbox guide?

It's not normally that tricky.

Is everything wired as per the drawing, have they used the wrong make/model of components. Is the screen wire grounded as per the drawing. Are spare cores grounded. Have they got IP washers and earth tags where they need them.

6. Cbuk2k2

Cbuk2k2 Active EF Member

I've got a few sets of notes on it if you PM me your email I'll try and look some out for you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AyresomeBoro

AyresomeBoro EF Member

I'll PM you now, got re-sit next week.