Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss COMPEX newbie , should you get extra money $$$ in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Nigel Martin

Nigel Martin Nitramlegin

new to posting threads on here really , my company is about to get into compex work
    would you expect an up lift in wages for carrying out compex work

2. timbobelfast

timbobelfast Electrician's Arms

Normally rates should be higher for this type of work. Do you have a compex qualification?

Is the company you work for fully versed and experienced in Ex installations?

3. Nigel Martin

Nigel Martin Nitramlegin

some sparks have done course but never used it , know we are in the middle of applying for licence or what ever it is , we are big civil engineering company and usually sub that side out but have decided to keep it in house

4. Nigel Martin

Nigel Martin Nitramlegin

could be great for us sparks at the company because we have some big clients on the books

5. Nigel Martin

Nigel Martin Nitramlegin

is there any ruling anywhere that states any up lift JIB , WRA

6. timbobelfast

timbobelfast Electrician's Arms

No real a JIB rule but I would be expecting technician rates of pay.

7. Nigel Martin

Nigel Martin Nitramlegin

yeh I get that anyway with HV and supervising were just wandering how it works at other companies

8. KennyKen

KennyKen Electrician's Arms

In Australia we are upgraded to Special Class.

The Compex here is called Hazardous Areas or EEHA.

• Like Like x 1
  9. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

There's lots of qualifications we should be getting paid more for having.
    Employer's don't want to pay.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Yes, but if things like gaining qualifications and pay uplifts aren't in your T&Cs then you will have little chance of getting anywhere, are you in a TU organisation?

11. Nigel Martin

Nigel Martin Nitramlegin

no TU not recognised , seem to follow WRA for a lot of issues , don't get me wrong it hasn't come up yet but know it will very shortly , and just wandering how other companies approach it

12. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

What does your contract of employment say about training and work related qualifications?

13. Nigel Martin

Nigel Martin Nitramlegin

pretty sure this matter won't be covered in contract , don't get me wrong they are usually pretty good uplifts

14. Cbuk2k2

Cbuk2k2 Active EF Member

Always fills me with dread to see companies deciding to get into hazardous area work by putting guys through CompEX. It is intended as a competency assessment rather than a training exercise. To me it is similar to a plumbing company deciding they want to be electricians and putting some of their staff on an1 week electrical installation course.

15. Nigel Martin

Nigel Martin Nitramlegin

Possibly true , but suppose every one/company has to start some where , but know where your coming from

16. Cbuk2k2

Cbuk2k2 Active EF Member

Personally I'd start by employing some guys with experience as Ex inspectors/installers. The regulations run to 1000's of pages and it's easy to misunderstand. Not questioning the electrical competence of these guys but it's alonst an entirely different trade.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nigel Martin

Nigel Martin Nitramlegin

The company I work for are one of the big players in U.K. Also

18. Cbuk2k2

Cbuk2k2 Active EF Member

From personal experience it's very easy to lose your shirt. One of the hats I wear is witnessing comissining of equipment on behalf of third parties. It's quite common to have a representative of Lloyds of London or DNV present at least one independent consultant and 2 guys actually doing the loop checks etc which costs the client about £5000/day.

I was on a job about 2 years ago comissining a gas compressor. A relatively small player had provided fire and gas detection for it. It had all been installed and inspected when on about day 3 of the job the old grey beard doing the hands on bit noticed they hadn't fitted an IP washer on the 150 odd pair multi core terminated in an Exe box. The cable they had spent 3 days terminating beautifully had to be ripped out and the 10p washer fitted.

The DNV guy insisted that the fault be rectified and we repeat the past 3 days worth of checks. It was made clear that the extra £20k in labour and any other incurred costs from the over run would be back chargered to the little company that made the mistake.

Hence I tend to see using guys who do Ex work day in day out as good value.

• Like Like x 1