Discuss Compex Training Advice Available in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Compex 5 day course presented at Compex centre 051, Scunthorpe H.E.T.A. With ten candidates, very intensive training. The feedback was very positive with three of the candidates remarking that had they realised just how much there was to learn they would have opted to do the two day Compex Foundation course (All theory), and progressed to the 5 day full course at a later date. Their results will be available in 2 to 4 weeks and I will update this page then.

Hi Jackso,

You may be able to answer, im just curious.

I've worked with Hazardous area equipment both IECEx and ATEX extensively for nearly ten years, quite in depth and have a good general understanding, I've spent countless hours scouring over 60079 and i'm confident with my knowledge surrounding it - ive never needed the certs as it's not my job to sign anything off.

From what I can find, to get the Compex cert I need to have my NVQ, which at this stage I do not want to do (I don't work with domestic/commercial so filling a log book out would be a pain). I'd prefer to move straight on to a HNC which would be more beneficial to my line of work.

Would my experience account for anything on this matter?

Cheers,
Dan

Hi Dan, if you can provide evidence of an electrical or instrument apprenticeship or an NVQ level 3 that is the basic requirement. If you cannot provide either, then JTL may accept an Employers letter (the format is provided by JTL and available at the numerous training centres) the employers letter will provide evidence of your electrical/instrument background and experience. One does not have to have any particular qualification to do the course, upon successful completion a Compex certificate would be issued with the letters CSNV after the certificate number and just indicates that the candidate could not produce evidence of an electrical/instrument origin. HNC is a higher level of qualification than is required for this course. The criteria is basic, electrical / instrument or NVQ. I hope this answers your query, any further information required, let me know, regards Colin.

Has the new refresher format kicked in yet?
Sat my refresher back in May 2017 and the lad taking the course said it was being phased in.

Best advice for the practical, make sure you can knock a cable gland out with your eyes closed lol.

Hi timbobelfast, yes, the new refresher format was introduced in 2018. Very intense, one day of refresher training. Very busy second day, all assessment, practical electrical and instrument inspection, identify faults, remedial actions and fault codes, which are considered as important as the actual fault. One hour cable installation assessment. The Ex01-Ex03 board exercise, which is now online, computer based from next Monday 14th Jan 2019. And of course the final online exam which has been reduced from 60 to 50 questions, with the added bonus of an open book exam, the handbook provided by the test centre, to be returned upon completion, regards, Colin, Compex instructor-assessor, centre 051 Scunthorpe.

Hi guys, could any one give me some advices? i am yet to attend my first 5 days compex training course in Dubaï on March 2019. So i don't know how to prepare myself. i have been reading books about hazardous areas classification. Thanks for your helpful advice.

Hi guys, could any one give me some advices? i am yet to attend my first 5 days compex training course in Dubaï on March 2019. So i don't know how to prepare myself. i have been reading books about hazardous areas classification. Thanks for your helpful advice.
Hi Ernest, the course is very intense, if you study the theory prior to your course you will vastly improve your chance of success. I recommend a text book, written by a very experienced Electrical consultant, Compex training instructor assessor, the handbook is titled HAZARDOUS AREAS FOR TECHNICIANS . You can order the book from Amazon using the ISBN 978-1-912014-95-8 the cost £14.50 the contents, exactly what you need for the 5 day CompEx course. You also require practical experience terminating steel wire armoured and braided cables for the installation exercises Ex01 and Ex03. The other two exercises are Electrical and instrument inspections where there are a multitude of installation defects on already installed equipment. You can find an amazing amount of information by going on the internet and looking at the manufacturers catalogues. Hawke provide all the basic information on protection methods, area classification, gas groups and temperature classification within their catalogue pages. This should help you get started, if you need any further information, please do contact me, regards, Colin

I am so glad I have found this page!! Our engineering team has been enrolled on this course next month, we have one motor in an area deemed a risk by our health and safety department. Any way we need some help or advice! I cannot find any info or practise tests online. It's all secret squirrel stuff!! Just ordered the book mentioned but if you have any info you can share then excellent.

Hi, if anyone requires advice with regard to the Compex training and Compex refresher training courses, I am here to help. (Compex Training instructor / Assessor).
Hi jackso
We have recently had some lighting installed within a zone 2 HAC warehouse. The contractor who completed the works has installed all EX nA light fittings (around 200) however they have not supplied a asset register on completion of the job. Can you please tell me if it is a requirement to provide and have a record of all ATEX equipment on site? Or is it just food practise? Cheers

Hi jackso
We have recently had some lighting installed within a zone 2 HAC warehouse. The contractor who completed the works has installed all EX nA light fittings (around 200) however they have not supplied a asset register on completion of the job. Can you please tell me if it is a requirement to provide and have a record of all ATEX equipment on site? Or is it just food practise? Cheers
Hi Andy, there is a requirement that you have a complete inventory of all certified hazardous area equipment. You must maintain a system including original documentation and maintenance records. The HSE could inspect at any time, and would certainly wish to see any and all related documentation. Regards Colin

Thanks very much. So I will perhaps need to go back to the contractor and ask for an inventory of all hazardous area equipment that they have installed? For example if there were say 200 light fitting all of which Ex nA, should I be expecting 200 individual inspection sheets?

Hi Andy, as a minimum I would expect a complete list with the individual plant identification unique tag number and circuit reference for each light fitting. The light fitting details recorded against each fitting. You now have an asset register from which future inspection and maintenance records can be recorded as may be required by the HSE. Regards CJ

Hi, yes they have used ex e cable glands for the ATEX rated equipment. There is also double pole isolation for all of the circuits. I have checked the manufacturers installation instructions and they appear to be installed as per. I was expecting a complete asset register on handover with every piece of equipment on there and the initial inspection records with it. However we have not be given this.

If you do get the asset register and inspection sheets, I would recomend you sample some of the lights, especially the glands.
I have come across plenty of rigs/skids that have just came out of the shipyard where stevie wonder must have carried out the inital inspections ! Lol

Hi Jackso
I'm really interested in the EX-01-EX04-CompEX training, how difficult is this 5 day course to complete & how many people actually pass on a weekly basis, say out of a class of (10) people, I've looked in to the basics of course contents & I'm competent
in cable glanding, armoured, & sy flex, & think I would do ok on the practical side, I'm just not so sure about units EX03-EX04 intrinsic safety,as this seem to be what everyone fails on, I've looked on the websites but cant seem to find much learning material on the compex it self, would you please be able to recommend anything or point me the wright direction, as I don't want to book & fail the course, as its not the cheapest, any information on this would be much appreciated thanks in advance.

Hi Jackso,
For the purpose of compex does a light fitting class as having an internal source of ignition?
As in, would it required to be flameproof with a barrier gland in a gas group IIC area?
Thanks

Reply to Compex Training Advice Available in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net