Discuss Compex Training Advice Available in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Its for the selection process. With it being a IIC area anyything with an internal source of ignition should be ex ‘d’ with a barrier gland such as a switch. Im trying to understand if a light fitting constitutes as having an internal source of ignition or would an ex ‘e’ light fitting suffice in a IIC area.

Thanks

I have never came across a light fitting that is Ex e increased safety tbh.

You need to confirm the gas group for the fitting. If it was a Ex de IIC isolator, then yes this could be used in a IIC area. However the isolator may not require a barrier gland as it is of hybrid protection. Typically an Ex e housing with flameproof switch inside.
There is a barrier gland selection table in the toolbox guide.

A source of ignition is general something that creates a spark, arc. The lamp in a flameproof fitting will be considered as such, switch contacts also.

Yes thanks, this is purely for the compex refresher course, the online installation section section requires you to select a light fitting for a IIC area with the minimum standard required.
Could i use an ex ‘de’ light fitting without a barrier gland for this area?

Thanks again

Hi, if anyone requires advice with regard to the Compex training and Compex refresher training courses, I am here to help. (Compex Training instructor / Assessor).

Great to have you on here. I did mine at your Hull place a few years ago. Think I need to refresher next year.

Hi Jackso
I see HETA have a 25% off offer on the compex course. This is a huge saving on other centres , is there a catch ?? Apologies for asking but it seems too good to be true.
Hi, there is no catch, our sales team offer the discount to promote the course and achieve maximum attendance, sorry I did not reply sooner, been away on holiday with no internet access, regards, CJ

Hi Jackso
I'm really interested in the EX-01-EX04-CompEX training, how difficult is this 5 day course to complete & how many people actually pass on a weekly basis, say out of a class of (10) people, I've looked in to the basics of course contents & I'm competent
in cable glanding, armoured, & sy flex, & think I would do ok on the practical side, I'm just not so sure about units EX03-EX04 intrinsic safety,as this seem to be what everyone fails on, I've looked on the websites but cant seem to find much learning material on the compex it self, would you please be able to recommend anything or point me the wright direction, as I don't want to book & fail the course, as its not the cheapest, any information on this would be much appreciated thanks in advance.
Hi, the five day Compex course is intense, we cover all aspects of protection methods, installation and inspection. I cannot provide an overall universal pass percentage, but at our centre the pass rate is between 85 and 90%. The intrinsic safety is presented in detail and the majority of candidates do not have a problem with this protection concept once they have completed the training. Pre study is recommended, you can find very useful information by searching the internet, manufactures such as Hawke and Pepperl and Fuchs provide useful information. Once you book the course we provide the course handbook and course handout if you wish to collect them prior to the course date. HETA Scunthorpe are offering a 25% reduction in course fees at this time. Regards, CJ

Hi there I have done the refresher course although failed on the ex03r
My question is what’s the minimum gland spec for
IS
Zone 0
Non armoured cable.
Exia
Metal and plastic enclosure
I’m thinking exd stuffer

Hi Dingo, for a single item of equipment Exia you may select an A2 compression gland, certified Exe, Exd, or Exde, alternately you are permitted to use an uncertified gland that has an ingress protection of IP66, these are listed in 60079-14 table 10 note a.
If you use a certified Exe A2 gland the equipment must be rated for the IP of the zone, (eg IP66) that applies to the equipment only, the cable gland entries must have an IP washer installed to the cable gland to attain the required IP66 ingress protection. Regards CJ

Hi, if anyone requires advice with regard to the Compex training and Compex refresher training courses, I am here to help. (Compex Training instructor / Assessor).

Jackso.
Recently did my two day refresher and failed EX-03 installation board test. Now have to resist Ex-01 and Ex-03. I have Compex course files but any suggestions on information selecting equipment to aid with the re-sit

Compex 5 day course presented at Compex centre 051, Scunthorpe H.E.T.A. With ten candidates, very intensive training. The feedback was very positive with three of the candidates remarking that had they realised just how much there was to learn they would have opted to do the two day Compex Foundation course (All theory), and progressed to the 5 day full course at a later date. Their results will be available in 2 to 4 weeks and I will update this page then.
Which centre you from?
Hi Jackso, new member here, looking for some help regarding a query I have on the inspection checklists found in the ex02 and ex04 compex exams? Any help would be much appreciated. Jim
[automerge]1570471348[/automerge]
Hi Jackso, new member here, looking for some help regarding a query I have on the inspection checklists found in the ex02 and ex04 compex exams? Any help would be much appreciated. Jim
Source URL: Industrial - Compex Training Advice Available - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/compex-training-advice-available.170720/page-2

Jackso.
Recently did my two day refresher and failed EX-03 installation board test. Now have to resist Ex-01 and Ex-03. I have Compex course files but any suggestions on information selecting equipment to aid with the re-sit
Hi, contact me by e-mail at [email protected] and I will provide you with some guidance, regards, CJ
[automerge]1570613789[/automerge]
Jackso.
Hi, contact me by e-mail at [email protected] and I will provide you with some guidance, regards, CJ
[automerge]1570614127[/automerge]
Hi, what’s the best compEx book to read ?
Hi, I recommend, Hazardous Areas For Technicians, ISBN 978-1-912014-95-8 available from Amazon priced at £14.50, comprehensive guide written by a very experienced Compex training instructor/assessor Ian Staff. Regards, CJ

Last edited:
Hi timbobelfast, yes, the new refresher format was introduced in 2018. Very intense, one day of refresher training. Very busy second day, all assessment, practical electrical and instrument inspection, identify faults, remedial actions and fault codes, which are considered as important as the actual fault. One hour cable installation assessment. The Ex01-Ex03 board exercise, which is now online, computer based from next Monday 14th Jan 2019. And of course the final online exam which has been reduced from 60 to 50 questions, with the added bonus of an open book exam, the handbook provided by the test centre, to be returned upon completion, regards, Colin, Compex instructor-assessor, centre 051 Scunthorpe.
Colin,
What’s the name of the booklet that lists all the j/boxes etc. that you get with the online installation board, can I find a copy anywhere please?

Colin,
What’s the name of the booklet that lists all the j/boxes etc. that you get with the online installation board, can I find a copy anywhere please?
Hi spf3358, unfortunately the booklet for the online installation board exercise Ex01-Ex03 is a controlled documents the property of JTL, the Compex awarding organisation, they cannot be purchased, Regards, CJ

Hi Jackso,
Can you advise what the current practical entails? Is there anything I can practice for i.e. are the glands still putty or are they now resin?

Wouldn't mind bashing a few out before going as I don't do much of it at the moment.
Cheers,
Dan

Reply to Compex Training Advice Available in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net