Discuss Completing Zs box on schedule of test results in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nicebloke

When unable to carry out a Zs test on a lighting circuit (large/heavy chandelier type lighting), then the R1+R2 + Ze measurements are instead used and this is noted, but is it the norm to still write this value in the Zs box on the schedule of test results or just in the notes. I ask because technically a Zs test hasn't been conducted, and the R1+R2 + Ze calculated isn't necessarily going to be the same as an actual Zs test?

R1+R2 added to Ze is a worst case,a direct Zs may include parallel earth paths and would tend to make it lower,if the R1+R2 calculation is within limits,the true Zs will almost certainly make it better in the real world

Always find it wrong for a schedule of 'test' results to include calculated values.
To my mind, if a test is not conducted, then no value should be inserted into the box.

When unable to carry out a Zs test on a lighting circuit (large/heavy chandelier type lighting), then the R1+R2 + Ze measurements are instead used and this is noted, but is it the norm to still write this value in the Zs box on the schedule of test results or just in the notes. I ask because technically a Zs test hasn't been conducted, and the R1+R2 + Ze calculated isn't necessarily going to be the same as an actual Zs test?

It has been tested, you have tested the external and internal loop. And added them together.

Maybe not ideal and to everybody's taste, but a test all the same.

To be honest, I struggle to understand why anyone would bother to do such a thing.
Why would anyone want to calculate a value, knowing full well that it is very likely to be inaccurate, then record it as if a test had been conducted?
What is the point, what purpose does it serve?

To be honest, I struggle to understand why anyone would bother to do such a thing.
Why would anyone want to calculate a value, knowing full well that it is very likely to be inaccurate, then record it as if a test had been conducted?
What is the point, what purpose does it serve?
Surely you just have to prove compliance with the permitted maximum values? By calculating it you're giving a worst case scenario, if it complies then all well and good. You're going to meet disconnection times regardless of noting the measured value or the calculated value.

It's not something I tend to do personally but I can see why people do it.

Reply to Completing Zs box on schedule of test results in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net