Discuss Compressor blowing 13 amp fuse in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nandrews87

I am trying to find out why an air master tiger 14/60 turbo air compressor keeps blowing the 13amp fuse. MCB does not trip when this happens, always there is no sign of bad connections or a short in the cables. The compressor is a 230 volt, 10 Amp 2.2Kw motor.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what could be the problem. I have thought the compressor may be faulty, however it is only new. Could it be pulling more than 10 or even 13 amps due to it been new.

The circuit is connected to a C type 16 Amp MCB

Possibly the compressor is starting up with the motor under full pressure if the compressor is turned off at a plug rather than the machine itself.
If there is full receiver pressure on the pump as it starts it will be unable to turn and will stall out possibly blowing the fuse. Switching off at the machine normally operates a valve to release the pressure on the pump .

Either that or there is an internal wiring problem, but do make sure all external wiring connections are tight and check continuity.

It’s a bit on the big side for a 13A fuse. I thing your going to have to fit a 16A outlet for it. you have to take the starting current in to account.

How often does it do it? Have you clamped it to see what current it is actually drawing? Did it come from new with a 13A plug, as that would indicate a fault, rather than overcurrent.

Last edited:
Has it been doing it since new or just started.

Have had one exactly the same from Machine Mart now for quite a while. Never once had issues with it popping the plug top fuse and its on a 20 amp radial with a B type MCB.

at least put some tape round the head end. ( that's if you've not used them all for 3036 fuses.)

If it is a unit which came supplied with a 13A plugtop, and it has started blowing fuses, then I don't think the solution is just to try a different (unfused) plug. There is obviously a fault with it.
If, on the other hand, it came with no plug and no instructions, then ceeform plug may be the answer.

Another thing to check is the non return valve between the compressor and receiver, Its that and the De-loader valve (as previously mentioned) that ensure the compressor re-starts off-load.

Could be the pressure putting a load on the motor during start up which will cause a higher current, that blowing the fuse, probably a dodgey de-loader valve previously mentioned.

I bought a 3kw log saw from machine mart a few years back, that came fitted with a 13A plug, which obviously kept blowing!

I e-mailed them and they eventually conceided that it needed to the changed for a 16A plug, which they supplied FOC.

Sorry to drag up an old thread!

Rich

I have had the same problem the answer was the non return valve. There is a nut on the valve this houses a spring and a thick rubber disc. This had stuck open causing the compressor to start under load. Cleaned and replaced problem solved.

Yep, thats your problem the NRV (non-return valve) it was stuck or if the compressor is old sometimes/most cases only the spring is presented and no sign of pastel (the rubber thing). There are service kits for these valves or a new valve (£20-£25)

Reply to Compressor blowing 13 amp fuse in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net