• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Concern over supply fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
We am planning to have a new kitchen installed soon but I am concerned about the incoming electrical supply into the property. I have attached a picture of what I believe to be the fuse on the incoming supply. This appears to be 60 amp.

We want to replace our current electric range cooker (I think rated at 5.1 KW) and gas hob with two builtin NEFF ovens (one a main oven, the other a combination oven/microwave). We also want to replace the gas hob on the range cooker with an induction hob. When looking at the specifications of induction hobs some of these seem to require a LOT of power (e.g. typically 7.5 Kw with one up to 11.1 Kw) . The ovens however seem to take a lot less than I was expecting at about 3.6 Kw each.

Two questions therefore:
  • Am I right to be concerned about the limitations of the 60 amp supply?
  • Is there anything we can do to increase the available power if it is a problem, and who would I need to talk to?
The kitchen will need a new circuit for the new pair of ovens. The Induction hob is planned to use the existing cooker point for the range cooker.

Note that we have overhead power supplied to a pole in the corner of our property (shared with other properties nearby) and it is fed underground from there to our meter cupboard about 20-30 metres away. The property was originally built around 1981.

We also have the normal washing machine, tumble drier, dish washer and separate larder fridge and larder freezer. All of these are new or less than two years old.

Concern over supply fuse IMG_20180220_130217 - EletriciansForums.net

You would need to consider what other loads your property might have, rather than just your new kitchen. You could contact your local DNO, which I think is Scottish & Southern. They might advise you on whether your supply could be upgraded, without too much trouble.

By the way, just 'cos it says 60A on the fuse carrier, doesn't mean the fuse inside is 60A. It might be 80A or 100A. You would need to check with SSE.

It is quite an eye opener what these fuses will take. However, 60A is below what your supply agreement is likely to state so asking the DNO for an 80A is not out of order.
As Murdoch implied your electrician would be conversant with this and the DNO are far more likely to discuss matters with him / her than an end user

I have not yet decided whether I will be using the builder we have used before (for our utility room) to install the kitchen or Wickes who have been very helpful and creative with the design. In either case it will be their electrical contractor that will be doing the electrical work.

I have a degree in Electrical Engineering (from 55 years ago) and hence understand that there could be a problem but I am trying to preempt any obstacles that might delay installation. I have no intention of doing the electrical work myself!

I do understand that we would have to take into account all of the other domestic loads (which should be comparatively low). Once we have chosen our appliances I will pass the issue to the electrical contractor but will try and make some enquiries first as to whether the supply is really 60 amp.

It is quite an eye opener what these fuses will take. However, 60A is below what your supply agreement is likely to state so asking the DNO for an 80A is not out of order.
As Murdoch implied your electrician would be conversant with this and the DNO are far more likely to discuss matters with him / her than an end user

You might find the opposite. Its their customer who should decree what supply they want, their the ones who pay the bill.

Thanks for your help so far. I know the theory but I don't have the practical experience to know what diversity could sensibly be applied to a modern set of cooking appliances. It is potentially feasible that the main oven and the combination oven could be running simultaneously and that part of the induction hob (but probably not all of it). The various thermostats will reduce the average load.

The other power regularly used in the property in addition to what I have listed above is a kettle, central heating boiler, two bathroom fans, two laptops and three TVs and a PVR. All the lighting is LED.

Since making the initial post I have realised that the previous owners had an electric car, with a charging point fitted outside, and there is an isolation switch in the garage - see photo - that appears to be labelled 40 amp although it is fed from a circuit breaker in the separate garage consumer unit. I know there is a thick black round cable (about 2 cm diameter) running from the garage and I am fairly sure that it runs to the main consumer unit in the house.

This car charging circuit was installed prior to July 2016 i.e. before we bought the property and I have not fully investigated it. Is it possible/likely that the power input to the property as increased when this was installed?

The external charging socket had been removed so I don't know the rating. I found just 2.5mm wires sticking out of the garage wall terminated into a chocolate block with a bit of insulation tape wrapped round it! This was pulled back into the garage and made safe.

Concern over supply fuse IMG_20180220_225505 - EletriciansForums.net

An appointment has been made for UK Power Networks to come and inspect their feed including a check as to what fuse is fitted. They were very helpful.

They did require confirmation that the tails from fuse to meter and meter to CU are 25 mm before they would schedule a visit. This is confirmed by the installation certificate I received when I bought the property.

As I understand UK Power Networks will upgrade the incoming supply to 100 amp if it is necessary. They told me there would probably be no charge for doing this. As it happens we have the overhead electricity power distribution pole inside our property boundary.

Thanks for the advice given.

Reply to Concern over supply fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back