Discuss Concerned about bathroom work carried out in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

my concerns over them FCUs was never to do with Zones..

it were all about accessability.....

Yes but zoning aside 701.32.3 makes reference to it being acceptable to have (lets face it) a screwed bath panel - I would say a screwed wall panel (as above) is easier access than faffing about with a bath panel

So its all actually ok!? Some seriously mixed messages on this post! :)

Price is for one days work plus parts. No mention of coming back to wire the equipment up.

Cheers,

Tom.

Impossible to say from the information given - mixed messages are also from limited info, without actually seeing the install people can only speculate.

You should phone your electrician and voice any issues with him.

Yes but zoning aside 701.32.3 makes reference to it being acceptable to have (lets face it) a screwed bath panel - I would say a screwed wall panel (as above) is easier access than faffing about with a bath panel
or stick `em in a more appropriate place...hence my agreement with geordie`s earlier post

a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.........

never has a proverb been more apt for electrical work.

Impossible to say from the information given - mixed messages are also from limited info, without actually seeing the install people can only speculate.

You should phone your electrician and voice any issues with him.

I think maybe you need to reflect on what exactly your concerns are - is it really "I'm not sure it's safe" or "I'm not sure about the workmanship", or is the real root of it "This is a surprise...in my mind I never pictured it quite being done this way"?

............ is the real root of it "This is a surprise...in my mind I never pictured it quite being done this way"?

its almost certainly this when mr diy does a bit of research trying to design his own electrics then the electrician comes along and bins the whole idea.

Am I hearing correct that people are deciding if people are Electrical Trainee cowboys based on how much they charge?

No, but he would still have to check/install supplementary bonding if lights have no RCD (RCD only on ring)

Nah, only worry that the work you've completed meets the regs ..... if you aint touching the lights not your problem!

Am I hearing correct that people are deciding if people are Electrical Trainee cowboys based on how much they charge?

I must be a massive cowboy then! Lol

Seriously though, I don't judge a book by how much it costs. You're right, it's ridiculous!

It's wrong that people are judging if people drive a horse or not from how much they charge, it's pathetic.

Nah, only worry that the work you've completed meets the regs ..... if you aint touching the lights not your problem!

Get your point but I would consider that introducing new feeds etc into a bathroom (where pipework may require supp) is one of those examples where your circuit's compliance is compromised by lack of bonding.

its almost certainly this when mr diy does a bit of research trying to design his own electrics then the electrician comes along and bins the whole idea.

My motivation for this post was primarily with the safety of the installation.

I am not prepared to compromise the safety of my family due to bad workmanship and to my untrained eye this looked unsafe.

I now appreciate this is not the case so will quite happily continue with my bathroom.

Thanks for questioning my motivation though, really makes me feel welcome.

Cheers,

Tom.

I now appreciate this is not the case so will quite happily continue with my bathroom.

No no no no!

You cannot take the word of a few sparks on a forum as gospel! All we have to go on is one picture and a basic description of the work. We cannot make informed decisions as to whether or not the work complies with the regs or whether or not the work is unsafe, all we can do with what we've been presented with is guess.

Some people don't seem to see a problem, some people do. As I said in my original reply to you, I cannot say for sure as I am not at the job making a full assessment, but in my opinion there are certain aspects that concern me about the work and I feel some of it is suspect.

If you want to find out one way or another whether the work is safe and compliant, what you need to do is pay for an independant compliance inspection of the work so far carried out. Only then, upon presentation of the facts can you say for sure that you're either happy or unhappy with the work. I am not far from London if you wanted to go down that route. I also know a guy close to London who makes his living carrying out independant inspection and testing. There are other options available to you than taking the word of a few electricians on a forum who cannot possibly prove one way or another what is going on with the current state of the work.

a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.........

never has a proverb been more apt for electrical work.

Too true, in more ways than one. Design and installation in one instance....presumption, with lack of all evidence, in another.

Regardless of whether the install is 100% to the regs, If I was working for an op like this fella I would walk off site as well.

Reply to Concerned about bathroom work carried out in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net