Discuss Condition report practice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

As a way of learning/getting my head around the regs I do mock condition reports if I see something I don't think is quite right but some of these things I wouldn't know what to code (If anything) If anyone can give me their thoughts it'd be much appreciated!

- At a friends house:RCD Protected. 2x 10mm main bond, one is connected to the gas, the other would be for the water but we couldn't find the connection. The incoming water is metal and not plastic but the kitchen uses a mixture of copper and plastic fittings. I'd probably code this a C2.
- A door frame has been notched to fit over a switch so the switch is not accessible. I'd code C3 reg 134.1.1 and 132.12
- RCD protected circuit, at a surface mounted plastic switch there is no earth terminal and the earth is loose. I don't think this would warrant a code but would the screws be an exposed conductive part and therefore need earthing?
- A light fitting is mounted only with 1 screw instead of 3 so is hanging loose. I think I'd code this a C3 as it's connected to the fixed wiring. Reg 134.1.1

Thanks for any advice or input, reading the regs for fun isn't that fun sometimes.

The 10mm to the water i would test the continuity of it to the MET as if the reading is less than 0.05 ohm i would just code it a C3 as cant find bonding clamp if not (within reason) then would C2 it.

The door frame i would also code a C3.

The switch where the earth is not connected but is present i would code this a C3 if it was just a free conductor in the back of the swotch but if it is in a connector block or something like that then I would not code it.

The light fitting not having all the screws put in as long as the fittig is secure and not flapping about i would not code it but if its loose and could fall off i would code it a C2.

Just out of
The 10mm to the water i would test the continuity of it to the MET as if the reading is less than 0.05 ohm i would just code it a C3 as cant find bonding clamp if not (within reason) then would C2 it.

The door frame i would also code a C3.

The switch where the earth is not connected but is present i would code this a C3 if it was just a free conductor in the back of the swotch but if it is in a connector block or something like that then I would not code it.

The light fitting not having all the screws put in as long as the fittig is secure and not flapping about i would not code it but if its loose and could fall off i would code it a C2.
just out of interest if you performed a continuity test to determine whether bonding was in place and the reading was acceptable why still a code 3? Could you not state that furthur investigstion was required?

If continuity is proven then I would code further investigation to locate the bonding connection for the water. It could well be hidden by Kev the kitchen fitter and could cause quite a lot of damage trying to locate it.

Reply to Condition report practice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net