Discuss Conditional reporting , how in depth do you go to satisfy your recommendation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been sparking now 25yrs plus
Did testing and inspecting 10 year ago
Do a lot of new installation tests and conditional reports of our own installs once they are up for renewal , so don’t really have to put codes on any thing because it’s all usually pretty much up to current regs
This thread has been created because of my house rewire one last week
I don’t go into installation’s houses , factories etc and do conditional reporting
Where you you start delving deeper into the installation if you have suspicions thing are not right
Insulation resistance , just flood test at dB all line conductors to earth only
Today a thread has mentioned a metal sw with no earth to face plate , would you pick that up and physically unscrew face plate and check
How long would you spend testing a 3 bed house say
Like I say I’m far from an expert on conditional reporting and putting codes to items , just put this out for interesting chat and to pick up a few tips
Thanks in advance guys and girls

Last edited:
You need to do as much as you feel is necessary. For me it's 50% of the circuits, end to end on socket circuits, rcd tests, open up random sockets and switches, checking visually a many of the accessories as feasible, doing a plan of the property and make sure I know what each circuit does, irrespective of what any labelling may indicate, ir , Zs, out door circuits ....

My minimum for a small flat is half day charge, with minimum 2.5 hours on site

Much depends on the size,complexity and problems caused by disruption, the extent of testing should be agreed with the client in advance.
Generally I test all circuits and drop around 30% of points for inspection. Tests may not include R1+R2 if there is previous documentation to compare and Zs test results are as expected, Zs on all circuits, IR of L/N-E (global if isolating neutrals at the DB is difficult) and RCD's. Dropping points for inspection often introduces problems such as stripped threads or damage to building fabric, if this is apparent then the number of points inspected is reduced. It is vital to record the extent of the inspection and reasons for limitations to cover your ---. If something goes wrong after the inspection it's inevitable that it'll be fired back at you as people assume that everything is checked and tested and will then be OK for the next 20 years. If it states on the report that 30% of points were removed for inspection(for example) that's your safety net.
Only a few weeks ago I had a whinging landlord on the blower because an immersion heater element had failed a week after a satisfactory report was issued.

You need to do as much as you feel is necessary. For me it's 50% of the circuits, end to end on socket circuits, rcd tests, open up random sockets and switches, checking visually a many of the accessories as feasible, doing a plan of the property and make sure I know what each circuit does, irrespective of what any labelling may indicate, ir , Zs, out door circuits ....

My minimum for a small flat is half day charge, with minimum 2.5 hours on site
You mean you test 50% of circuits?

So a year old installation needs 100% - I don't think so

A 20 + year old needs 100% - Deffo

There's chaps around here offering £75 for an EICR. Lords knows if they test anything ...
If we all stoop to their level we are in the s***.......mind you, with so many of them on the block, we're well on the way anyhow.

So a year old installation needs 100% - I don't think so

A 20 + year old needs 100% - Deffo

There's chaps around here offering £75 for an EICR. Lords knows if they test anything ...

So faced with a 5 year old install having it's first EICR with 6 circuits, (lets say a small commercial), would you just test 3 circuits?

So faced with a 5 year old install having it's first EICR with 6 circuits, (lets say a small commercial), would you just test 3 circuits?

Probably yes --- BUT I always do a site visit before agreeing to undertake a EICR so a brief visual would help, as would any documentation available

Guidence note 3 - 3.8.2 refers

Reply to Conditional reporting , how in depth do you go to satisfy your recommendation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net