Discuss Conduit bending in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Everybody!

I am new here, so I say hello to you all.. :)

I am experienced electrician, but only in domestic stuff. Now I need to work in comercial and industrial environment and my problem is that I don`t really know anything about conduit bending.

Can you recommend me a good book for that to learn?

Thank you !

Zsolt

the way i do it is have the vice setup with the pipe as horizontal as possible mark your pipe at the back of the bend then put our finger up to the line and when you touch the former with your finger that's where you bend but takes a bit of practice to get use to bending that method gets me with in 2mm of where i want to be

I love conduit work.. its an art-form.. make sure you get your saddles in the right places else it looks awful.. and make sure its all square and level as once its in and youve moved along with run its a pain to redo.. oh and make sure you have some extra lenghts!!

We use a condubend machine witch has angle stops etc on and comes with a detailed guide for pulling those perfect bends to measurement

I do a test bend on a short piece of conduit, make a mark place it on the former with a reference say end of former and then pull a right angle and measure how far my mark is from back of bend. There are tried and tested measurements for B.O.B for 20mm and 25 mm but I forget them. Practice.....

That's what happened to me: I forgot how to do those tried and tested methods to the proper formulas
(which are really accurate) with the passage of many years of not having to do any. Now I can't
remember what to do and how to do it! Need to learn it all again, because it's great and much easier
with zero waste of conduit when you know how to do it properly.

Im now having to start to use metal conduit.

I havent used it for 20 years.

So far, in my new job, its just been straight runs, and threading the stuff, ofcourse this is easy.

But, next week it isn't going to be so easy.

Err, being a village idiot I have no Idea what B.O.B is, and I like the idea of the above measurements Jonnyboy, perhaps you could explain a little further? Thank you.

I also don't understand the 'touch method' really.

Ive got no-one to show me how to do this stuff........ive just got to do it!? Gulp.

What books did you buy zsoltimatrix? Perhaps you could let me know if they are worth buying? Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
BOB --- back of bend. never bother myself. bend a bit too long, measure against trunking/accessory etc. then cut and thread.

Cheers for that Johnboy, Ive just printed out the link.

It does make things a bit clearer, reading about it and doing it are 2 totaly different things though! (However, im not under any real pressure and there are lengths and lengths I can foul up and no-one is going to bat an eye-lid. But, I want to be good at it.)

I think I need to stop thinking about work, it has taken over my entire existance!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Conduit bending in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock