Discuss Confused about whether downlights need to be fire rated or not. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Steve T

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but here goes:rolleyes::

I'm thinking about installing down lights in my hallway. This is on the ground floor of my house, and above is the first floor, all of which is my own house. There is no insulation the the ceiling void. So my question is do I need to use fire rated downlights or not? In other parts of the ground floor, non fire rated downlights have been used.

Also, are wago connectors in a wago box maintenance free?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Unless you are going to put 50 in your hallway you may as well make them fire rAted, as above, why wouldn't you. They don't cost much and there'll only be a £10 difference between each.

I would recommend fire rated downlights but there would be no need to change the ones that are already installed, unless you wanted them all to match exactly.
Wago connectors in the wago box for which they are designed are maintenance free, you just need to check which type of wago connectors are suitable for the wago box.
If you can avoid junction boxes then this would be a good thing.
If you are talking about the joints to the downlights then these would not need to be maintenance free as they are easily accessible via the downlight.

I would need to use a wago box in place of the current light fitting, and it would be plastered over, so would have to be maintenance free.

I probably will go for fire rated downlights, as they have a connection block that I can fit two t&e cables in.

Hi Steve

I would probably still use something like a debox for your downlight connections so that you have somewhere to terminate your earth cables, unless your downlights have an earth terminal?

Hi Steve

I would probably still use something like a debox for your downlight connections so that you have somewhere to terminate your earth cables, unless your downlights have an earth terminal?
I'm going to use these down lights:LAP Fixed Round Fire Rated Downlight Brushed Steel 220-240V - http://www.screwflix..com/p/lap-fixed-round-fire-rated-downlight-brushed-steel-220-240v/9248p

In the pictures on the website it shows an earth terminal too.

I'm going to use these down lights:LAP Fixed Round Fire Rated Downlight Brushed Steel 220-240V - http://www.screwflix..com/p/lap-fixed-round-fire-rated-downlight-brushed-steel-220-240v/9248p

In the pictures on the website it shows an earth terminal too.
considering that these are a budget range fitting, they're quite well made and a good price. fitted a few and had no problems.

Reply to Confused about whether downlights need to be fire rated or not. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock