Discuss confused as to what to do next in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

boycegunsave

hello there im new to the forums so take it easy on me please.

im 22 at 16 went college did 4years and competed my electrical course culminating in me passing my am2 .
in the6 years i have been working my father a qualified spark for over 30 years. Now 2 weeks ago m dad sadly passed away an didn't really tell me much in the way of what do next. I just want some advice.
I want to carry on working as an electrician and over many years me and my father have built up a loyal customer base.

but I have no idea how 'qualified' I actually am and what someone in my position should do next.

Hi,

Firstly, I'm very sorry to hear about your father.

You've told us a bit about yourself, but nothing about the type of work that you and your dad were doing. Was it domestic, commercial or industrial work?

You've been an electrician for a while, so the question is really how competent and confident are you at what you do? You need to be honest with yourself here (but you don't need to put it on the forum - it's for you to decide).

If you feel confident that you can go and work on your own without help then you could continue in your current business with your existing customers. If though, this really isn't your thing, phone some local companies and explain your situation and ask if they have any jobs available.

If you do decide to continue the business yourself, you will have a few things to learn - quoting work, invoicing, accounts etc. Also if your company is a member of a competant person scheme (NICEIC, Elecsa, NAPIT etc), then you need to investigate which qualifications you need to carry on being a member.

Your financial situation may also influence your decision - do you have a mortgage or high outgoings to consider?

Whatever you do, I wish you luck and don't be afraid to ask questions on here.

Reply to confused as to what to do next in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock