Discuss Confused by this question - help? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MK1

-
Reaction score
I’m revising for an exam and they’ve given me a multiple choice question paper but no answers (helpful!). Can anyone help me out with this one?

An insulation resistance test between live conductors on a single-phase circuit has been carried out and gives you a reading of 0.00M ohms. State one likely condition that could cause this value?

a) A resistive fault has occurred between conductors and water is present
b) A short circuit of negligible impedence between L and N
c) A short circuit of negligible impedance between L and cpc
d) A healthy circuit

e) there is a load connected to the circuit?????

It’s not A as you don’t no if there is water there by testing.
And it’s not C because you are testing between live conductors.
It’s not D as a good reading should be over 1 Mohm.

So must be B

but it's a stupid question 0.00Megohms could be a residstance of anything uo to 999k ohms.
999k would be 0.99M even if rounded down assuiming the meter really does have that resolution and accuracy.
however you have a good point, could would be anything up to 9k so less than 30mA so as suggested above could be anything from a short down to a relatively small load e.g. <10W light bulb
Having said that we're only after one likely condition but doesn't give all the info: if it's testing after initial install there are less likely to be loads on the circuit and more likely to be faults.
If it's testing on an EICR that was recently energised it is mre likely to be the load.

but it's a stupid question 0.00Megohms could be a residstance of anything uo to 999k ohms.
..maybe just under 9k but then who knows what will round to 0.01...
then there are the 1-or-2 lowest counts of some meters
Has anyone got a 4k7 / 8k2 resistor rated 250V to hand ?
(any nit pickers -who can be -arsked- )

Reply to Confused by this question - help? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock