Discuss Confused ...IR readings in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
anyone shed some light?

100m run of 4mm nyy cable

New cable and getting 135meg ohm when testing surely this should be >999 on martindale mft

Checked cable and no damage(visual anyway)

I know it's well above minimum permitted but still

Sounds like damp or contamination.
It's the same give or take between all conductors ,would the reading of 135 be considered acceptable on a new installation cert? So for so many questions I'm fairly new to testing so these results threw me a bit and just filling cert out now

So you are testing this with the conductors at both ends free and nothing connected although strictly speaking the cpc should be connected to earth.

Not long just usually press test and within seconds it gives me reading it's the et4000 if that helps

If you carry out IR testing like that then you have to expect to get readings like this on long cables.
The cable forms a capacitor and you need to apply the test voltage for long enough to fully charge this capacitor, otherwise you will not be measuring the resistance of the insulation but will just get a slightly random number.

re-test the cable, but this time make sure you allow long enough to overcome the effect of the capacitance of the cable.

Don't forget to safely discharge the stored energy in the cable.

It can be worthwhile doing a longer test if a reading is not acceptable to you
Try doing the test for a minute or two to see if the value rises
There are a couple of reasons for doing so,I have copied and pasted some info for you

Capacitance:
The capacitance charging current necessary to charge the capacitance of the insulation being tested. This is a transient current which starts relatively high and falls exponentially towards a value close to zero once the circuit being tested is charged electrically. After a few seconds or tenths of seconds, this current becomes negligible compared with the current to be measured.

Absorption:
The absorption current, corresponding to the additional energy necessary for the molecules of the insulating material to reorient themselves under the effect of the electrical field applied. This current falls much more slowly than the capacitance charging current, sometimes requiring several minutes to reach a value close to zero. •
Leakage current
The leakage current or conduction current. This current characterises the quality of the insulation and is stable over time

It can be worthwhile doing a longer test if a reading is not acceptable to you
Try doing the test for a minute or two to see if the value rises
There are a couple of reasons for doing so,I have copied and pasted some info for you

Capacitance:
The capacitance charging current necessary to charge the capacitance of the insulation being tested. This is a transient current which starts relatively high and falls exponentially towards a value close to zero once the circuit being tested is charged electrically. After a few seconds or tenths of seconds, this current becomes negligible compared with the current to be measured.

Absorption:
The absorption current, corresponding to the additional energy necessary for the molecules of the insulating material to reorient themselves under the effect of the electrical field applied. This current falls much more slowly than the capacitance charging current, sometimes requiring several minutes to reach a value close to zero. •
Leakage current
The leakage current or conduction current. This current characterises the quality of the insulation and is stable over time
So due to the length off cable this can take longer to get the expected result while testing ?

All other tests fine and compliant as expected

Really helpful and useful this forum

Thanks guys

Anymore info help on this still welcome

So due to the length off cable this can take longer to get the expected result while testing ?

Yes, which is why you continue the test until the reading stabilises or a suitable length of time has elapsed.
I have always used 2minutes for a 500V test.
I think modern higher voltage IR testers perform a timed test (amongst other functions) automatically.

Yes, which is why you continue the test until the reading stabilises or a suitable length of time has elapsed.
I have always used 2minutes for a 500V test.
I think modern higher voltage IR testers perform a timed test (amongst other functions) automatically.
From the socket I tested with the plug from the tester and got 365 and like I've said 135 from the board so wasn't making sense to me

But I now know where I've gone wrong thank you

It's the same give or take between all conductors ,would the reading of 135 be considered acceptable on a new installation cert? So for so many questions I'm fairly new to testing so these results threw me a bit and just filling cert out now
The good thing is as you say you're fairly new to testing you are questioning the values you get'' is this right, should I be getting this reading ,why have I got this reading.

So you are testing this with the conductors at both ends free and nothing connected although strictly speaking the cpc should be connected to earth.

This is interesting, I wasn't previously aware of this. There is no explicit mention of it in the OSG, which many trainees/apprentices use as their quick reference/refresher to the testing procedures.
Looking into it, I see it is explained in GN3 as being introduced with the 17th Edition referring reg. 612.3.1.

Don't forget to safely discharge the stored energy in the cable.

Out of curiosity, how would this be done?

Reply to Confused ...IR readings in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock