Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Confused ...IR readings in the Commercial Electrical Talk area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Dannyg8810

Dannyg8810 Electrician's Arms

anyone shed some light?

100m run of 4mm nyy cable

New cable and getting 135meg ohm when testing surely this should be >999 on martindale mft

Checked cable and no damage(visual anyway)

I know it's well above minimum permitted but still

2. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

Is the cable completely isolated, or are any conductors connected to a load?
    How long was the test voltage applied for before taking the reading?

3. Dannyg8810

Not long just usually press test and within seconds it gives me reading it's the et4000 if that helps

4. Dannyg8810

Nothing connected just cable either side
    I got 365 from the socket before this

5. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Sounds like damp or contamination.

6. Dannyg8810

It's the same give or take between all conductors ,would the reading of 135 be considered acceptable on a new installation cert? So for so many questions I'm fairly new to testing so these results threw me a bit and just filling cert out now

7. Dannyg8810

Last bit of info for you

I had a 3m length left and tested that and got >999

8. westward10

Yes it is acceptable but for a new cable of only 100m I would expect above 200 meg.

9. westward10

So you are testing this with the conductors at both ends free and nothing connected although strictly speaking the cpc should be connected to earth.

10. Dannyg8810

At a test voltage of 250 I'm getting >200

11. davesparks

If you carry out IR testing like that then you have to expect to get readings like this on long cables.
    The cable forms a capacitor and you need to apply the test voltage for long enough to fully charge this capacitor, otherwise you will not be measuring the resistance of the insulation but will just get a slightly random number.

re-test the cable, but this time make sure you allow long enough to overcome the effect of the capacitance of the cable.

Don't forget to safely discharge the stored energy in the cable.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. davesparks

Id say it sounds more like the capacitance of the cable since it is brand new.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Ian1981

Ian1981 Electrician's Arms

Compression fault in an accessory perhaps?
    Cables crushed/squashed in too tightly

14. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

It can be worthwhile doing a longer test if a reading is not acceptable to you
    Try doing the test for a minute or two to see if the value rises
    There are a couple of reasons for doing so,I have copied and pasted some info for you

Capacitance:
    The capacitance charging current necessary to charge the capacitance of the insulation being tested. This is a transient current which starts relatively high and falls exponentially towards a value close to zero once the circuit being tested is charged electrically. After a few seconds or tenths of seconds, this current becomes negligible compared with the current to be measured.

Absorption:
    The absorption current, corresponding to the additional energy necessary for the molecules of the insulating material to reorient themselves under the effect of the electrical field applied. This current falls much more slowly than the capacitance charging current, sometimes requiring several minutes to reach a value close to zero. •
    Leakage current
    The leakage current or conduction current. This current characterises the quality of the insulation and is stable over time

15. Dannyg8810

So due to the length off cable this can take longer to get the expected result while testing ?

All other tests fine and compliant as expected

Really helpful and useful this forum

Thanks guys

Anymore info help on this still welcome

16. davesparks

Yes, which is why you continue the test until the reading stabilises or a suitable length of time has elapsed.
    I have always used 2minutes for a 500V test.
    I think modern higher voltage IR testers perform a timed test (amongst other functions) automatically.

17. Dannyg8810

From the socket I tested with the plug from the tester and got 365 and like I've said 135 from the board so wasn't making sense to me

But I now know where I've gone wrong thank you

18. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    The good thing is as you say you're fairly new to testing you are questioning the values you get'' is this right, should I be getting this reading ,why have I got this reading.

19. Dannyg8810

Yes always learning and being making sure everything I do is correct ,

20. soms

soms Trainee Access

This is interesting, I wasn't previously aware of this. There is no explicit mention of it in the OSG, which many trainees/apprentices use as their quick reference/refresher to the testing procedures.
    Looking into it, I see it is explained in GN3 as being introduced with the 17th Edition referring reg. 612.3.1.

Out of curiosity, how would this be done?

21. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

^^ you should always do IR tests on a cable with the cpc connected to the cu, along with the other circuits.....

22. Hellmooth

Hellmooth Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CM Electrical
    Is this why my Megger will give a low reading when button is first pressed but increases pretty rapidly as button is held down?