Discuss Confused, must be missing something simple. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

vini

-
Reaction score
A cooker switch with single socket indicated a reverse polarity. It was connected to a double socket into which was plugged a gas hob and gas oven. Double socket also showed reverse polarity. However when the earth prong on the plug was inserted into the socket the LED display on the plug in tester showed as correct. What am I missing?

They're really only any use for circuit tracing mate. Use your proper, big lads test gear or them things in ya heed you use for seeing with. I'd open it up first.

A cooker switch with single socket indicated a reverse polarity. It was connected to a double socket into which was plugged a gas hob and gas oven. Double socket also showed reverse polarity.
Considering that the two are connected, does that really surprise you?

A cooker switch with single socket indicated a reverse polarity. It was connected to a double socket into which was plugged a gas hob and gas oven. Double socket also showed reverse polarity. However when the earth prong on the plug was inserted into the socket the LED display on the plug in tester showed as correct. What am I missing?
A professional piece of test equipment and a screw driver to open up the kit to physically see if a problem is present.

A set of City and Guild qualifications I suspect.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I did open both and nothing was wrong. I am thinking there may another connection between the cooker socket and DB with possibly a Neutral and Earth reverse.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I did open both and nothing was wrong. I am thinking there may another connection between the cooker socket and DB with possibly a Neutral and Earth reverse.

Did you check another circuit? take the CU cover off?

start at the cut-out, then meter then CU. has it had a new meter fitted ? not unknown for a meter monkey to get his wires crossed.

start at the cut-out, then meter then CU. has it had a new meter fitted ? not unknown for a meter monkey to get his wires crossed.
The thing is Tel, a simple test with a proper meter will tell him if there is or isn't a problem. So far he's used a toy which tells him there's a problem and his eyes which tell him there isn't.
Get your test gear out bonny lad! If there is a polarity issue it'll tell you. Then and only then can you start to trace it. Up to now your peeing in the wind.

Live and Neutral reversed. However the cooker circuit was an immersion heater circuit originally 2.5mm T+E. The board was fine, but the supply to the cooker was in red and black cable from the board, however in the cooker switch it was brown and blue. So a connection of sorts was made when new kitchen was installed and tiled over. The oven and hob are both gas so the cooker switch is only operating the igniters.

As an aside and I get what people have said about the socket tester, why does it light up as if the circuit is correct when an earth prong of a plug is inserted into one side of a double socket?

Tester in one socket shows a live neutral reverse and then an earth only prong is inserted into the other socket of the same two gang plate and then tester shows no fault.

I didn't expect anything. The socket tester was in one side of the double socket and I inserted the plug into the other. As the earth prong made contact the tester changed. This I found interesting and don't know why it would alter the live/neutral reverse light.

I should also say the MCB had tripped a number of times which is why I was called and I was trying to determine whether the hob or cooker was part of the problem, which is why I was inserting the plug.

Reply to Confused, must be missing something simple. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock