Discuss confused tns reading in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Peter Woodford

guys,

Im getting confused, done a ze reading L-PE and got 0.46 ohms but on on site guide says should be 0.8 ohms do i just put the reading down on EIC. Or is this o.k :confused: all zs readings are within limits

guys,

Im getting confused, done a ze reading L-PE and got 0.46 ohms but on on site guide says should be 0.8 ohms do i just put the reading down on EIC. Or is this o.k :confused: all zs readings are within limits
Nothing wrong with that reading, It's only just over half the max Ze for a TNS.As sparks 1234 says 0.8 is a maximum. The lower the better. Put it down on the EIC. Job done:)

guys,

Right, this could sound nasty, but it's not, I promise. I just like to help people!

Do you understand what your Ze reading actually is? With a question like "it's not 0.8 like in the OSG" makes me feel like you may not know what you are actually measuring, so if you need some help just ask, as this is pretty basic. I've found that trying to teach people what the numbers on the instrument are when they take a reading helps no end in getting them to understand the basic principles.

But if you need no help, I'll shut my big mouth and bug someone else! :D

Right, this could sound nasty, but it's not, I promise. I just like to help people!

Do you understand what your Ze reading actually is? With a question like "it's not 0.8 like in the OSG" makes me feel like you may not know what you are actually measuring, so if you need some help just ask, as this is pretty basic. I've found that trying to teach people what the numbers on the instrument are when they take a reading helps no end in getting them to understand the basic principles.

But if you need no help, I'll shut my big mouth and bug someone else! :D

New to this live testing... so ill ask for people....

When measuring the Ze are you measuring the resistance between the live conductors and earth back to the local substation? because the earth is centre tapped to netural is that the reading????

You are measuring the impedance from the earth conductor to whatever earth you have there (TT - rod, TN-C-S - neutral, TN-S - sheath), then along this earth path back to the transformer. From the centre tapped part of the transformer through the transformer winding to the live conductor and back to your point where you've got your probe on your line (i.e. supply cable, cutout, distribution board).

So just a big long loop, it's pretty simple when you think about it.... :)

Here's a nice picture to show a full Zs path: -

confused tns reading {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Just realised the OP was last August!! Dunno why people keep dragging up old posts....:confused:

Last edited:

Reply to confused tns reading in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock