Discuss Confusing bathroom lights and fan wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

As long as all are on the same circuit and you haven't got the neutrals interconnected between two lighting circuits.

If you get somebody to just swap that double pole switch for a 2 gang switch, putting one pole on each switch, you should end up with a switch for the lights (which can be left on) and a switch for the fan. (This is assuming 1 pole is the lights and the other is the fan, but would be a good place to start)

Some more information here.
  • This wiring is original. The flat was built by Taylor Wimpy in 2013.
  • The fan appears to be a CMEV.4E. Apparently, it's three speed, house-wide extractor designed to be always on, on a near silent low setting, with the medium and high speeds designed to be manually switched. Product information, including wiring diagrams, are here.
  • I can't confirm if it is always on - either it's too quiet for me to tell, or it's not. As it only extracts from the bathroom and kitchen, I'm not sure it needs to be.
Kitchen Switch (there's a grey wire not connected to anything tucked in the box:
https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/ay0nUhI.jpg

https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/jw9EG0e.jpg

Isolator:

https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/6W2HTOz.jpg

https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/aiiG61C.jpg

https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/2M1sM83.jpg

Wanted to add this to the first post to keep all the info in one place, but seems I can't edit the post, so sorry it's a bit everywhere now.

So this seems even more complicated than I thought. Am I not better off just removing live cables from the Bathroom Switch until the lights won't turn on, then putting them in a separate switch, and leaving the fan wiring as is?

To answer your last question... no. Random removal of conductors is never a good plan.

Can you not isolate it fully, and work out the wiring by appropriate dead testing? Draw a diagram and then work out what needs to change at the bathroom end to achieve the desired result.

The gray needs to be made safe at both ends as not needed.
Fan isolator needs to be changed to a switched fused spur fused to 3A.
Is the bathroom and kitchen lights on the same circuit as the fan?

The gray needs to be made safe at both ends as not needed.
Fan isolator needs to be changed to a switched fused spur fused to 3A.
Is the bathroom and kitchen lights on the same circuit as the fan?
Needs to be that big to get all the wires in
The knock out at the top of Appleby fast fix boxes is big enough to get more cables than is there.

So the supply is looped at the fan isolator and the bathroom switch, perhaps. Each switch that operates the fan is paralleled with three core cable (but the grey is used for neutral at the bathroom switch but only seems to go (possibly) to a connector block at the isolator).
I think the three core must have been the original plan but things changed (not for the better). I hope there is not a brown wire in the middle top terminal of the fan isolator. The fan isolator does not isolate the switched line but does isolate the permanent line and neutral, probably.
The fan is only switched from trickle to max boost.
9dB would be very hard to hear on trickle.
The fan switch could be separated out assuming my guesses are correct.
A somewhat confusing arrangement of wiring for a simple system, but perhaps logical when you are on site. Certainly not ideal; no need for a 3A fuse if fed from 6A lighting.
Bit of a guess at the wiring even though I cannot see all the connections in the TP isolator.
Extract fan with two lights DP switching and shaver 2.jpg

I did this to the bathroom light switch:

https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/raVHZik.jpg

This stopped the fan boost turning on with the bathroom light.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't simply separate the poles with a 2-gang light switch like this?

https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/raVHZik.jpg

Is there any reason why I shouldn't simply separate the poles with a 2-gang light switch like this?
Is there a reason why there is 2 cpc's in the same piece of sleeving and why there is so much copper on show? That wiring needs shortening also.

I tink u mint bud speeling! :D
You've been on the spelling patrol so thought I'd get some payback :p
Not a problem Mate, no spelling mistake though was there just the wrong word used, I'll be watching you from now on, so be ware and be careful, OK:tongue::smilingimp::rage: And above all live long and prosper.

Replacing the DP switch with a 2 gang 2 way switch is likely to be OK, but from afar we cannot tell if there may be other problems this may cause in the wiring. It does seem as if the live supply for the fan is not fed from either of the switches, but possibly from the fan isolator.
However to be able to categorically state it would be OK would not be possible at forum level.

Reply to Confusing bathroom lights and fan wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net