Discuss Confusing EICR, 'Satisfactory' assessment but C1 present in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Is the circuit protected by a 30mA RCD ? If the answer is yes then the results are pretty un-inportant. Maximum Zs is 1666 ohms. In practise a reading over 200 ohms woukd be considered unstable. Sorry if I've confused things. By the way if it has no 30mA RCD protection then that would be more of a concern.
There is an RCD in the Consumer Unit (see pic). I'm assuming it's protecting the 5 circuits to the left of it but not the 2 lighting circuits to the right?
Confusing EICR, 'Satisfactory' assessment but C1 present IMG_20190303_145827840 - EletriciansForums.net

Another electrician who cannot spell immersion heater but yes you are correct.

Another electrician who cannot spell immersion heater but yes you are correct.
I guess now you know I haven't tested it recently as otherwise I would have known! As for the immersion heater, there isn't one...but presumably there was at some time. I believe that circuit is just for the shower pump (which has also now gone so I could probably just turn that one off).

Press the test button on the RCD, if it works OK then stop worrying yourself.
By pressing the button on an RCD all you are doing is checking the mechanics of the unit, not the electrical/electronics.

By pressing the button on an RCD all you are doing is checking the mechanics of the unit, not the electrical/electronics.

This crops up frequently and I believe is an incorrect statement.

If you look at the circuit diagrams for RCDs, the test button introduces a resistor connected between the load side line and supply side neutral to create an imbalance akin to that which it is designed to detect. This is why the test button is non-operational when the power is off, it requires power to create the imbalance rather than simply triggering the release mechanism.

This crops up frequently and I believe is an incorrect statement.

If you look at the circuit diagrams for RCDs, the test button introduces a resistor connected between the load side line and supply side neutral to create an imbalance akin to that which it is designed to detect. This is why the test button is non-operational when the power is off, it requires power to create the imbalance rather than simply triggering the release mechanism.
Does pressing the test button prove that the RCD trips within the prescribed parameters? No, all it does is prove the mechanism works, if it were to trip under fault conditions, testing it by pressing the test button will only prove the mechanics are clear of debris.

Does pressing the test button prove that the RCD trips within the prescribed parameters? No, all it does is prove the mechanism works, if it were to trip under fault conditions, testing it by pressing the test button will only prove the mechanics are clear of debris.

I didn't claim it did, I was merely pointing out that the test button is far from a purely mechanical test as suggested by your post to which I was replying.

It's not just you that has said this. As I said, the statement 'it's a mechanical test only' or words to that effect crops up from time to time and it is factually incorrect because it is not a purely mechanical test. The test button verifies the operation of the detection and trigger electronics, whether that operation falls within the parameters we consider to be acceptable is another matter, but none the less, if the test button works, the RCD is detecting an imbalance greater than or equal to it's rated trip current and is tripping.

Reply to Confusing EICR, 'Satisfactory' assessment but C1 present in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock