Discuss confusing figures between net and regbook in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hiya lads a stupid query (maybe )
i was filling in an EICR for a mate and had left my on site guide and reg book at home so i decided to check the net for max zs values for 60898 type b mcbs 6a. 16a, 32a, and 40a but the figures didnt match up with the ones in the reg book. so question what sites do the lads recommend as i was dong it on a mobile device so ended up giving in and waiting till i got hame

thanks
mad spark

Most guides (and that includes the OSG and the Internet) may have a "rule of thumb" percentage of 80% calculated on the 'regs' table Zs values.
That may account for the difference.

Also the Zs figures recently have changed in the Bible, but the Internet will rely on people like you and me to keep it up to date. And I CBA!

Hiya lads a stupid query (maybe )
i was filling in an EICR for a mate and had left my on site guide and reg book at home so i decided to check the net for max zs values for 60898 type b mcbs 6a. 16a, 32a, and 40a but the figures didnt match up with the ones in the reg book. so question what sites do the lads recommend as i was dong it on a mobile device so ended up giving in and waiting till i got hame

thanks
mad spark
Easy way to work out type b mcbs is 218.5 volts divided by 5x their rated current
10x for type c
20x type D
Saves you needing to look it up if you've forgotten your books
Fuses ...... not so easy with out a reference to hand

For mcbs just memorise a few. For example if you know a 10A you can easily work out a 20A, 40A by just doubling the 10A value. Must admit I knew nearly all of them off by heart until the values changed and my brain now struggles to adapt:)

Easy way to work out type b mcbs is 218.5 volts divided by 5x their rated current
10x for type c
20x type D
Saves you needing to look it up if you've forgotten your books
Fuses ...... not so easy with out a reference to hand
Where did you get that gem from?
Didn't I say that you were a clue'd up spark!

Lovely - data inputted - thanks a lot. Sometimes when you look at the mathematics of stuff it's like poetry.

230v x cmin 0.95= 218.5v
32 type b x5 is 160amps
218.5/160= 1.37 ohms.
230v x cmin 0.95= 218.5v
32 type b x5 is 160amps
218.5/160= 1.37 ohms
Lovely - data inputted - thanks a lot. Sometimes when you look at the mathematics of stuff it's like poetry.
Yeah it's just the basics ohms law v/IR
Think the old bs 3871 where
Type 2 x 7rated current
Type 3 x10 rated current

and these calcs. go out the window when voltage is more like 240V, and generally, cables will never be operating at their max. temp. of 70 deg. :mad:

Reply to confusing figures between net and regbook in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock