Discuss Connecting a wireless thermostat to a glow worm boiler in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I have looked at the manual and read more of it... much of what I skimmed last night looking for wiring advice ;)

I get the point, and I'm not into knowingly suggesting someone breaks the law. It is a complicated situation with boilers. It irritates me greatly that the wiring on some is only accessible with the front cover removed.

I've got a list of things I'd like to get in terms of professional development... gas is one of them because it removes this complexity.

I have looked at the manual and read more of it... much of what I skimmed last night looking for wiring advice ;)

I get the point, and I'm not into knowingly suggesting someone breaks the law. It is a complicated situation with boilers. It irritates me greatly that the wiring on some is only accessible with the front cover removed.

I've got a list of things I'd like to get in terms of professional development... gas is one of them because it removes this complexity.

If you ever decide you want to go down the gas side want to learn some more / any questions pop over to the plumbers forum and ask away

Eg best way to go around getting the qualifications and best books etc

If you ever decide you want to go down the gas side want to learn some more / any questions pop over to the plumbers forum and ask away

Eg best way to go around getting the qualifications and best books etc

Thanks, will do :)

It wasn't his comment that got him some guidance. I don't believe I have provided a step-by-step guide on how to do it, just pointed him in the right direction which is what he initially wanted. I would consider a step-by-step guide to be far more detailed. But I'm open to a discussion about it and I'm not afraid of making a mistake and being corrected by staff with more experience.

I wasn't getting at you @SparkyChick . Every member has to make their own decision on what info to give out.
After my question below and the OP's reply I thought it better that they do not mess with mains power for their own safety. That is why I suggested they get an electrician to do the job.

How confident are you at wiring mains to the thermostat receiver?

Not very hence the post on here. Sure I can manage it with a bit of advice though

I wasn't getting at you @SparkyChick . Every member has to make their own decision on what info to give out.
After my question below and the OP's reply I thought it better that they do not mess with mains power for their own safety. That is why I suggested they get an electrician to do the job.

And I didn't think you were :) I was just setting out my position on why I felt it was OK, but I made a mistake regarding the gas side. Live and learn.

And I didn't think you were :) I was just setting out my position on why I felt it was OK, but I made a mistake regarding the gas side. Live and learn.
Don't worry.....I'm damn sure a lot more plumbers have created a dangerous situation installing an electrical supply for a boiler than electricians have removing a boiler cover for a supply test...…..or wiring in a remote 'stat, if it comes to it.;)

Don't worry.....I'm damn sure a lot more plumbers have created a dangerous situation installing an electrical supply for a boiler than electricians have removing a boiler cover for a supply test...…..or wiring in a remote 'stat, if it comes to it.;)

Also seen a lot of sparkys do dangerous consumer unit installs since the am3 came out

--- for tat, each trade has its bad and good

The ops boiler to get at the electrical connections you need to break the combustion seal

Also how does the op know what type of seal / system his boiler is, you just need to be mindful in the future giving out wiring info boiler side

Only wiring you can do is on a decorative case e.g. Don't need to remove any screws to remove the cover eg they normally lift off

The op's boiler is a betacom isn't it ? So there is no breaking of the combustion seal to wire it.

Given that the boiler is "room sealed" and has a balanced flue with an exhaust fan to create negative pressure in the combustion chamber and air intake from outside. are you saying that the clip over the top and 2 small screws at the bottom are sufficient to hermetically seal that boiler? And what about the plumbing and wiring entries, are they sealed as well? That's a decorative case. The combustion chamber is internal and separate from the cover illustrated in the manual . Anyone could remove that without being gas safe registered.

If you read the guidance from Gas Safe (the one I posted), it does go on to explain further.

If the cover forms part of the combustion circuit (typically the inlet airflow path) you need to be Gas Safe to remove it. Take a close look at the cables... they are very well sealed where they enter the cavity.

Diagram 10.4 shows the combustion cover and two of the screws holding it in place above the drop down controls housing.

I don't believe those diagrams are the OPs boiler. He posted a link to a manual later in the thread which is for a Glowworm boiler.

Has it been completed eg commissioned then ?

It's building regs so doubt it was signed off
You need to be gas safe to wire in that thermostat so best get him back or another one in

I have to say now,that 849 sparks on here,will be asking for 4,127 previous offences,to be taken into account...

Electricians have been wiring up boilers in new builds from at least when I started in the 80's. If what you say is true gas safe engineers all over the country would be stopping/telling electricians they can't connect up the boiler.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Connecting a wireless thermostat to a glow worm boiler in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock