Discuss Connecting Consumer Units. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dal

-
Reaction score
Hi!

First off I'd like to make clear that this installation is in Spain so UK regs don't necessarily apply but I'm just looking for some feedback and peace of mind that what I want to do isn't too stupid! (p.s. no ring main, all radial circuits and yes, we are earthed!)

I've lived in a ground floor apartment in a small block of 9 for 15 years and we've just purchased the identical apartment directly above us.

My question, or rather I'd like your thoughts on, is the idea of connecting upstair's consumer unit to the downstair's one.

The apartment upstairs has been empty for 10 years and the power was cut off long ago, there is no longer a meter for it. As there is going to be no more electricity used than when we just had the one apartment I'd like to keep things simple and treat upstairs like an extension out to a garage for example.
I thought of connecting to where my meter connects to my RCD and running cable up to the matching RCD upstairs.

Is this feasible? Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance!

Dal.

There would be a way of doing what you are suggesting. If this was in the UK, I would of recommended using an competent electrician. As this is in Spain, and I have no idea of their wiring regulations, I would also recommend employing the services of a competent Spanish resident electrician.

Hi - remember you will need to preserve the fire rating of the two independent flats and the building.

From personal experience in Spain I would suggest you get a local spark to do this for you. They are not expensive, and some of the circuits are decidedly odd...as are the zones where the cables are installed.

From personal experience in Spain I would suggest you get a local spark to do this for you. They are not expensive, and some of the circuits are decidedly odd...as are the zones where the cables are installed.

I apologise, I didn't make it clear in my first post, I'll be doing the work myself. All I want is pros and cons of connecting one CU to another.

There would be a way of doing what you are suggesting. If this was in the UK, I would of recommended using an competent electrician. As this is in Spain, and I have no idea of their wiring regulations, I would also recommend employing the services of a competent Spanish resident electrician.
Elsparko may be able to help, Elsparko, no? oh well just a joke.

can't see a problem with henley blocking the tails and splitting off to the other CU. spanish regs . may dictate what cabling you need to do this. e.g. SWA or sheathed tails.

can't see a problem with henley blocking the tails and splitting off to the other CU. spanish regs . may dictate what cabling you need to do this. e.g. SWA or sheathed tails.

Be interesting to see if they require a fused isolator for the upper CU.

I apologise, I didn't make it clear in my first post, I'll be doing the work myself. All I want is pros and cons of connecting one CU to another.

What are your qualifications or experience for doing electrical installations in domestic properties in Spain?

I presume if you are doing it all yourself you are an electrician anyway, or id like to hope so
If I were a qualified electrician I wouldn't be on this forum asking advice on, what I would hope, is an extremely easy job for a qualified electrician.
I've had plenty of experience of wiring for 30+ years, am reasonably intelligent, safety conscience and usually make a neater/stronger/tidier/safer/better job than most of the so called professionals that I've employed in the past, but no, not qualified as such. If that's a problem for running 2 or 3 wires and adding some kind of isolator then I shouldn't even change a plug.

If I were a qualified electrician I wouldn't be on this forum asking advice on, what I would hope, is an extremely easy job for a qualified electrician.
I've had plenty of experience of wiring for 30+ years, am reasonably intelligent, safety conscience and usually make a neater/stronger/tidier/safer/better job than most of the so called professionals that I've employed in the past, but no, not qualified as such. If that's a problem for running 2 or 3 wires and adding some kind of isolator then I shouldn't even change a plug.

Firstly, most of us on this forum don't have any or sufficient knowledge of Spanish wiring regulations or building regulations to give suitable advice.

Secondly, if this was such a simple job and you had the knowledge, you would be asking such questions here.

Dal, not wishing to be rude, but this is not a simple DIY job. There are various considerations for the design & installation & testing for what you are proposing.

You should take the advice, and employ a competent electrician (preferably of the Spanish variety).

So good He said it twice!

Reply to Connecting Consumer Units. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock