Discuss Connecting Consumer Units. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes there are isolators directly above the meters (RCCB/RCD?), there are supplier's fuses before the meters (screw in ceramic types). In Spain the isolators must be accessible from outside the dwelling in all cases I believe.

Do you have an isolator outside the dwelling for your ground floor apartment? Could you not tap into output of that instead of near the meter then?

FYI, I know of many apartments in Spain where the isolators are not accessible externally, and I think rules on this vary...also, many apartments have "skinny" electrical supplies, so running 2 off 1 might be problematic...I had to have mine upgraded just because I put in a new hob...
...and anywhere in a wall is a wiring zone, so who knows what you might unearth...literally.

can't see a problem with henley blocking the tails and splitting off to the other CU. spanish regs . may dictate what cabling you need to do this. e.g. SWA or sheathed tails.
So the Henley block just acts as a splitter? Meter tails in and then out with suitable cable to the 2 Consumer units (via an isolator for the upper)?

Do you have an isolator outside the dwelling for your ground floor apartment? Could you not tap into output of that instead of near the meter then?
I could but that would be a more convoluted route for the conduit/cable than straight up through the floor 2.5mtrs.

I still think is best to have an electrician carry out this particular job. OP has no experience of such a task, is unfamiliar with Spanish Wiring Regulations, and apart from pirate, is getting advice from UK electricians who have no knowledge of requirements locally.

Course trying to offer safety advice, just gets you a 'dumb' it seems. Here's me third coming up, or is it 4; I've lost count. ;)

FYI, I know of many apartments in Spain where the isolators are not accessible externally, and I think rules on this vary...also, many apartments have "skinny" electrical supplies, so running 2 off 1 might be problematic...I had to have mine upgraded just because I put in a new hob...
...and anywhere in a wall is a wiring zone, so who knows what you might unearth...literally.
All new builds/installations seem to require this now in my experience. This is Catalunya though which has many different rules and regs to Spain. I do know what you mean about how things are buried in the walls though, same with water pipes!

I still think is best to have an electrician carry out this particular job. OP has no experience of such a task, is unfamiliar with Spanish Wiring Regulations, and apart from pirate, is getting advice from UK electricians who have no knowledge of requirements locally.

Course trying to offer safety advice, just gets you a 'dumb' it seems. Here's me third coming up, or is it 4; I've lost count. ;)
i could make it 5 if you want, but i'm a nice person, even towards southerners when i've had beer. :D:D:D

i could make it 5 if you want, but i'm a nice person, even towards southerners when i've had beer. :D:D:D

The sentiment is replicated, with consumption of incohol. However, tomorrow morning, all bets are off. :)

PS, guess our Spanish expats will give that a dumb, being's though that he's further south than I am to you.

After sitting back with a beer and having a think, something Spoon said made me realise that I'd over-complicated things. I've realised that the easiest solution is to just have the electrician connect the tails that went to the missing meter from upstairs to my meter. That way it preserves the original cable, CUs and isolators of both installations.

Cheers Spoon, I'd buy you a beer if I could!

Just bear in mind that connecting the 2 consumer units together is a fairly simple task in its self, and if you get 2 wires in the right place, or even almost the right place, everything will work.

What you won't know until it happens, is how the installation will behave in the event of a fault. If the cable linking the 2 consumer units is not correctly protected from overload and fault current, then there is a risk of fire. If it's not suitably mechanically protected and in the wrong place, there is a risk of someone getting a Shock when they drill through it etc.... And if the supply isn't adequate it will keep tripping out/going off. There are also issues with the type of earthing and how and bonding conductors for the upstairs dweling are connected.

And whilst you may be aware of these downfalls, it probably won't be your property forever and you won't be the only user.

Getting that part right requires proper design based on the individual circumstances of the job. And people could spend a lot of their time working some of it out via the internet, but are often reluctant because that is how they make a living.

There are also a number of tests which should be carried out once the cable is installed, to ensure it's safe prior to energising, and even time served electricians may pick up on mistakes during this testing process.

These are some more of the reasons why you have been advised to seek a professional for this task.

Just bear in mind that connecting the 2 consumer units together is a fairly simple task in its self, and if you get 2 wires in the right place, or even almost the right place, everything will work.

What you won't know until it happens, is how the installation will behave in the event of a fault. If the cable linking the 2 consumer units is not correctly protected from overload and fault current, then there is a risk of fire. If it's not suitably mechanically protected and in the wrong place, there is a risk of someone getting a Shock when they drill through it etc.... And if the supply isn't adequate it will keep tripping out/going off. There are also issues with the type of earthing and how and bonding conductors for the upstairs dweling are connected.

And whilst you may be aware of these downfalls, it probably won't be your property forever and you won't be the only user.

Getting that part right requires proper design based on the individual circumstances of the job. And people could spend a lot of their time working some of it out via the internet, but are often reluctant because that is how they make a living.

There are also a number of tests which should be carried out once the cable is installed, to ensure it's safe prior to energising, and even time served electricians may pick up on mistakes during this testing process.

These are some more of the reasons why you have been advised to seek a professional for this task.

Cheers Shaun, that's a very professional and complete answer.

Thank you!

Hope that works, but do bear in mind the incoming supply may not be meaty enough if you start adding appliances.

Thanks Pirate, me too! I won't be adding anything, it'll still be just the 2 of us using the same things as we do now, just more space!

Found with a quick Google for Spanish wiring regs dated 2010.
It would appear the suppliers are not over keen on amateur installations.

Hello,

I am a fully qualified electrician in both the U.K. and Spain. In the UK I was recognised by NIC EIC and here in Spain I hold the Carné de instalador in the Valencian Region, it took me five and a half years to gain recognition with the Spanish authorities. The electrical regulations here in Spain are actually quite similar to that in the U.K. but the method of installation is very different.

One of the major differences between the two countries is that in the U.K. the trade of electrician is NOT regulated, where in Spain it is. I know some very good British sparks working over here; however if there are any that think they can simply install the same as they would in the U.K. will soon fall flat on their face as the regulating authorities simply will not accept it. And the electricity suppliers will just cut you off and ask for the correct paperwork to be issued.

Recently the authorities have started tightening up on things, in my opinion they have had their fingers burnt with all the well documented illegal properties that been built and subsequently knocked down

Are you intending to put an internal stair in, to access the upper flat?
No, it's to be more utilitarian than our home downstairs so for example the washing machine will go upstairs to free up space in the kitchen downstairs, my workshop will go upstairs to create an extra bedroom downstairs and it's just a place to store everything so downstairs can be more open-plan and uncluttered.

Reply to Connecting Consumer Units. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net