Discuss Connecting outside socket to internal supply in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Personally i like to have a FCU inside the property so if for xmas lights etc it can be switched off inside, i would tend to make off swa gland in rear knockout of a 35mm 1g metal box then drill straight through the wall and hoss the cable through and clip to wherever said socket needs to be (obv larger dia hole for a short way into wall to accept the gland, then 15mm the rest)

^^ making the SWA gland inaccessible .. Not ideal imho

I agree.

Under such circumstances I would drill a hole through the wall from the inside out, insert a piece of 20mm PVC conduit and fit an IP65 adaptable box on the outside wall. 2.5mm T&E would then be taken from the socket and terminated inside the adaptable. SWA or Hi-Tuff from the adaptable to the outdoor socket. Sorted!

Never going to come loose in a million years, (well maybe 100) saying that id still use 3 core and banjo the other end anyway, no different to the people that put them in boxes behind consumer units and bring the cores through

Personally i like to have a FCU inside the property so if for xmas lights etc it can be switched off inside, i would tend to make off swa gland in rear knockout of a 35mm 1g metal box then drill straight through the wall and hoss the cable through and clip to wherever said socket needs to be (obv larger dia hole for a short way into wall to accept the gland, then 15mm the rest)
Sorry Suffolkspark, I disagreed with your post for the reason that the gland would be inaccessible, as some others have pointed out as well.

Pete you don't have to apologise, we all have different ways of doing things, I've never come across a gland that's "worked" loose only where poorly installed initially, and with it earthing the armouring not serving as the cpc,,,, and that being done at both ends,,, and it being in the wall can't be disturbed,,,, and all actual connection being done into the FCU so no inaccessible joints or additional adaptable boxes on walls outside, I just feel its a pretty simple, tidy way of doing them.

Pete you don't have to apologise, we all have different ways of doing things, I've never come across a gland that's "worked" loose only where poorly installed initially, and with it earthing the armouring not serving as the cpc,,,, and that being done at both ends,,, and it being in the wall can't be disturbed,,,, and all actual connection being done into the FCU so no inaccessible joints or additional adaptable boxes on walls outside, I just feel its a pretty simple, tidy way of doing them.
OK like you say we all have differing ways of doing thing, but your method is not the way I would do it.

Not worked loose ................... but corroded - yes

so, if on a plug top, you'd not fix T/E into a plug top, would you. if you did i'd come all the way down to that den of iniquity (london) and spank your arse.
Absolutely. I was planning SWA (for protection through the external run) in to a junction box (or similar) with standard cable flex coming out of the junction box to a plug. Essentially a long extension cable as mentioned earlier but with SWA to give the wire protection outside.

I agree.

Under such circumstances I would drill a hole through the wall from the inside out, insert a piece of 20mm PVC conduit and fit an IP65 adaptable box on the outside wall. 2.5mm T&E would then be taken from the socket and terminated inside the adaptable. SWA or Hi-Tuff from the adaptable to the outdoor socket. Sorted!
my preferred method would be similar, but instaead of T/E, I'd continue the SWA cores through the wall in conduit (back entry into the ad. box,) and direct into the FCU, obviously with a fly lead to the gland, thus eliminating a joint.

Reply to Connecting outside socket to internal supply in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net