Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Connecting rigid conduit to flexible conduit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Chris C

Chris C New EF Member

Good evening all,
    My first posting on this site.
    Some advice on the following would be greatly appreciated.
    Am I right in thinking that the best way of connecting rigid conduit to flexible conduit is by screwing the gland on the flexible conduit into a female adapter?

Or is it acceptable to glue the flexible conduit into a coupler. I recently tried this method but found that the contractors pack of 20mm flexible conduit from my local wholesalers would not push easily into a coupler without distorting it a little. I did have some other flexible conduit which pushed easily into the conduit and gave a nice tight fit, even though both were said to be 20mm.

Thanks for any help you can offer me

2. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

The coupler and glue is a bodge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    contractors packs of flex conduit come with adaptors with 20mm malethread on. these can then screw into a solid conduit female adaptor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. NDG Elecs

NDG Elecs Electrician's Arms

I used to work at a place called Ronbar Factors in Washington. They are manufacturers of flexible conduit and many other items, with contractor packs being their big seller. So, I should be able to give you an expert answer on this. However I can't, because I never paid that much attention to them TBH! Sorry!

I do recall the 10m packs came with 10 flexi glands and 10 locknuts. If, as per Tels post, you ignore the locknut you can screw the gland on to a female adaptor, and the other end of the adaptor goes onto the rigid conduit. Dead easy, and yes you are right in thinking what you thought Chris! As mentioned, the alternative is a bodge..

5. KennyKen

KennyKen Electrician's Arms

The Alternative is the norm here in Aus lol...

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. wirepuller

wirepuller Trusted Advisor

Beware of the 'contractor packs' of the thin plastic ridged conduit,(which my CEF supply)....neither the glands or conduit are fit for purpose. Pants. Avoid.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    I may be tempted to do the changeover from rigid to flexi in a box and terminate each to the box. Something like a wiska ip65 box.

8. Lucien Nunes

Lucien Nunes Mercury Arc Rectifier Trusted Advisor

Especially if it's steel! But I keep seeing it done, e.g. nylon conduit pushed into BESA box spouts and supposedly stuck with solvent cement which doesn't work on nylon. It would be handy if the flex conduit makers offered an adaptor with a male UPVC stub that could be solvent-welded directly into a spout. I often go via a BESA box but as most of my work is in metallic containment, that's just a matter of screwing in a male flex conduit adaptor.

9. Dannyg8810

Dannyg8810 Electrician's Arms

Use a female adaptor ,I don't know why anyone would cut a corner over a such a small cost