Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Connection behind bathroom mirror? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. B1gSte

B1gSte Active EF Member

Hi everyone. Could someone please explain how an LED bathroom mirror with shaver socket should be connected to the mains?
    My interpretation of the regs is that a fused spur must be outside the zones.
    However, can the flex be connected in the void behind the mirror and by what means?
    I am not making the connection myself. This is part of an extension build (en suite) and I’m just trying to make sure that everything is in the wall ready before the boards go over the studwork.
    Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    if it comes from the lighting circuit, no FCU required. cable direct from lighting in attic to connect to mirror flex or terminals.

3. Nebu1a

Nebu1a Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    Meo electrical
    In a stud wall use a dry lining box and flex outlet plate behind the mirror

4. B1gSte

B1gSte Active EF Member

Thanks for your quick replies. So to verify. No FCU required.

Nebu1a, so to verify. Is the connection plate permitted behind the mirror above the basin?

Edit: Does cable need to be run in conduit?

Thanks

5. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi - Cable in the bathroom likely to need RCD, so check the 6A lighting circuit has one :) .

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. B1gSte

B1gSte Active EF Member

Thanks Wilko there is a B6 switch for both the upstairs and downstairs lighting circuits at the CU. Is that what you refer to?

7. Nebu1a

Nebu1a Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    Meo electrical
    How close is the mirror to the shower or bath?

Also as the flex outlet plate is behind the mirror, which I am assuming needs tools to remove, it could be argued that the flex outlet plate is out of zones anyway.

It is standard practice to fit illuminated mirrors on the lighting circuit. Do the MIs state it needs to be on a fused spur?

8. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Yes, the one that does bathroom lights will need to sit under an RCD.

9. Nebu1a

Nebu1a Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    Meo electrical
    Is there a switch labelled as RCD?
    Bathroom circuits need additional protection by a 30mA RCD.

• Old Old x 1
  10. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

I don't get why the customer needs to check for wiring provisions and RCD protection.
    When I do a bathroom fit the customer tells me they are having a mirror and I do all that myself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. B1gSte

B1gSte Active EF Member

The existing CU has only a 63A 30mA RCCB on the kitchen and house ring mains.
    The other side of the CU has a load of miniature circuit breaker type switches that stats NOT protected by RCCB.

However, I already have an electrician on standby to replace the whole CU as the meter box has been relocated to outside. So the present set up is temporary.

So on the assumption that he will replace to present standards, I just need to know what connection to use behind the mirror.

In answer to question above, the mirror can be lifted off the bracket without tools.
    The basin unit with mirror above is next to the shower screen. Shower is 800 x 1200. Centre of sink is 400mm from shower screen.

12. B1gSte

B1gSte Active EF Member

Andy78. The boards are going up shortly I just need to make sure I have made provision for the electrician when I get him round to do all the rest of the extension including kitchen and new CU. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  13. Rpa07

Rpa07 4000 posts - only 54195 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    I use click flow connectors for lighted mirrors now so that they can be connected easily when balanced on you knee standing on the ladder!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

400mm puts the mirror within zone 2.
    You will need to ensure the mirror is suitable to be used within zone 2.

15. B1gSte

B1gSte Active EF Member

IP44?

• Agree Agree x 1