Discuss Connection issue with swa in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Depending on the fixed load a 2.5mm off a 32amp mcb is no different than spurring off the ring final directly from the Mcb at the consumer unit.
If overload protection isn't required then all the 2.5mm needs is fault protection which the mcb will give.
I personally would size the mcb so Ib<In<Iz but it wouldn't necessarily be a non compliance

Think he's planning a radial buzz , just off a 32 amp mcb.
I'd go 20amp but just saying that what he proposed isn't necessarily non compliant.

Why you would use a 32A device on a 2.5 cable to supply a 13A, which I assume to be a socket, is beyond me.

if his SWA tails come straight through the wall, not buried <2" in plaster, no need for RCD protection unless it's TT.

Ok in that case a 16a MCB. But if it's going straight to an external rotary isolator you'd need the RCD protection at source for the tub.

Depending on the fixed load a 2.5mm off a 32amp mcb is no different than spurring off the ring final directly from the Mcb at the consumer unit.
If overload protection isn't required then all the 2.5mm needs is fault protection which the mcb will give.
I personally would size the mcb so Ib<In<Iz but it wouldn't necessarily be a non compliance

It is different to a 2.5mm spur from a ring, this is a dedicated circuit to a single appliance and the spur from a ring is one point out of a number of points for general use. The ring circuit relies on loads being spread around the circuit to work correctly and it is advised that fixed loads greater than 2kW aren't fed via a ring circuit.

Yes you could prove by calculation that the mcb will provide fault protection for the cable, but this seems like an over the top and unnecessary thing to do for a domestic installation. Especially when you can guarantee that anyone who looks at this installation in the future will label you as a cowboy for having done it that way.

Far simpler to install an ocpd which is better matched to the load.

It is different to a 2.5mm spur from a ring, this is a dedicated circuit to a single appliance and the spur from a ring is one point out of a number of points for general use. The ring circuit relies on loads being spread around the circuit to work correctly and it is advised that fixed loads greater than 2kW aren't fed via a ring circuit.

Yes you could prove by calculation that the mcb will provide fault protection for the cable, but this seems like an over the top and unnecessary thing to do for a domestic installation. Especially when you can guarantee that anyone who looks at this installation in the future will label you as a cowboy for having done it that way.

I hope you do realise that I'm not suggesting that it's spurred from the ring circuit, more suggested that if it was supplied from a 32 amp mcb on its own dedicated radial then as it's a fixed load it not necessarily no compliant as people are suggesting.
As stated I wouldn't use a 32 amp on a 2.5 , mearly suggesting it's no different being protected by a 32 amp as a spur is directly from the consumer unit when overload isn't a factor.
And yes the mcb will protect against fault protection you don't need a calculation to work that out.
Even a generic I2t let through value from a manufacturer will tell you that for a disconnection time under 0.1 of a second

Reply to Connection issue with swa in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net