Discuss Connection of 2 convector heaters using armoured cable on a radial circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening Gents,
Im looking for some advice, I have to connect two convector heaters on a radial circuit - I will be connecting each outlet via fused spur flex outlet, I was going to use a 3x3 adaptable box to terminate the one armoured then connect in singles to fused spur outlet and then back through adaptable box to armoured serving other heater- would this be ok?

Thanks

Sparky 63

Without any ratings, cables sizes, OCPD rating etc i can't comment about whether the circuit is correct but your principle idea is ok.

The spurs are electrically connected in Parallel they are positionally in series with each other please don't mix this up.

Many Thanks Darkwood, im using 2.5mm 2 core and earth supplying 2 x2kw heaters protected by 20 amp RCBO TYPE B, I dont think it is possiblke to terminate to such armoured into a a single back box.

Many Thanks Darkwood, im using 2.5mm 2 core and earth supplying 2 x2kw heaters protected by 20 amp RCBO TYPE B, I dont think it is possiblke to terminate to such armoured into a a single back box.
If you gland the armoureds into couplers you will get both cables into a metal clad spur unit easily.How far is the cable run in meters?

If your using adaptable boxes to make it easier you only have to run 1 set of cables to each spur, you don't have to loop in and out of the 1st one... as long as your cable calcs comply and Zs is good then you can spur of your joint out with one L/N/E to each heater.

Hi MDJ ,one radial is max 45m the other one approx 60m.

Cheers
So to clarify, you intend to run an armoured cable 45 mtrs into a adaptable box, then loop another armoured from that box a further 15 mtrs? then connect one spur to the adaptable box and the second armoured straight into the second spur? and 60 mts of cable in total for a 4 kw load wired in 2.5mm2 cable and connected to a b rated 20 amp MCB?

Hi MDJ ,one radial is max 45m the other one approx 60m.

Cheers

That changes everything .... you have 100m run you need to show your cable calcs you are giving us bits of info in dribs and drabs we have told you in principle your idea is ok but it seems you don't want to work out your cable sizing using the correct method.... are you an Electrician or DIYer ?...

Work out your cable size check your volts drop is ok and show your workings ... we are happy to correct minor errors but i personally am not here as a free design service.

As MJD has asked is this 100m run in total or 60m run in total?

Without spending more than 10sec looking at this thread, volt drop is screaming at me.

Do your volt drop calcs especially important if your using just one circuit also taking into account any derating factors to come up with the correct size circuit ..

I think we need clarification from the op first as we are all confused at what is the length of run, is it 60 mtrs or 105 mtrs?

Hi
one circuit is one FSU at at approx 35metres and the second spur on that radial say at 45 meters- the second circuit is separate radial running 50 metres to the first FSU and then another10 meters to the last FSU on that radial backed with 20A RCBO.

Thanks

so 2 different radial circuits feeding 2 different heaters on each and 2 20 amp breakers? one circuit at 45 mtrs and the second circuit at 60 mtrs?

Where is the armoured running? clipped to a wall, run on tray? led in a floor void, other etc etc? by the way 2.5mm2 won't cut it I suspect.

Sparky 63 ... work out your VD as i have already asked this is basic stuff for sizing your cable ...

There are many factors in your cable calc's that you haven't supplied detail wise and TBH the set-up you suggest won't comply with VD requirements so either help yourself a bit more and do the calcs and show us or get someone in who is competent to design the install for you ...

What are your qualifications ? so we can tailor our answers.

Reply to Connection of 2 convector heaters using armoured cable on a radial circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock