Discuss Conservatories/extra room in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Don't bother, make do and save your money, what I will spend on my refurb is more than what your house is worth.

In your area an extension is only worth considering if you plan on being there for the next 20 years if not don't bother, work hard earn more money upgrade to a larger property in a nicer area closer to better schools, at least you won't be hammered for Stamp Duty like I will be and I don't like the fact that I may have to give HMRC £100k for doing absolutely FA.

Easier said than done. We are in desperate need of space. Don't plan on moving as we like where we are and can't lend anything on our mortgage because partner is listed as a student.

conservatory is , IMO, a good option as long as you consider the "oven in summer, fridge in winter". ours has been here 30 years, before my time, and only prob has been recent slight leaks in roof. it was installed by B&Q ( ach spit ) but with a lifetime guarantee ( for original owner, and her mum's still alive) so leak was fixed last year. it' 6m x 4m.

conservatory is , IMO, a good option as long as you consider the "oven in summer, fridge in winter". ours has been here 30 years, before my time, and only prob has been recent slight leaks in roof. it was installed by B&Q ( ach spit ) but with a lifetime guarantee ( for original owner, and her mum's still alive) so leak was fixed last year. it' 6m x 4m.
Its fine as your wife wheels your wheel chair in and plonks you in front of the the PC, conservatories are for peasants, you want an Orangery, this is mine,

upload_2018-8-1_14-11-2.jpeg

wrong pic.this is me and 'er indoors.
images

From what I saw by trawling though the data on ConservoCam is that your wife has four legs is hairy and was tied to a lamp post, you have Welsh blood I bet........

had to do that dumb for that post. . it's not up to your usual standard.

now we know what you get up to when mrs SWD goes out to bingo.

nowt wrong with wetherspoons. decent ale at a sensible price.what's diamond white? is it cocaine?

Why not a dwarf wall? Underfloor hearing would be simple enough. Air conditioning units are reasonable price now.

Bet doors with blinds inside would be expensive? More cost effective to just have blinds fitted?
We just fancied all glass..we’ve had blinds fitted which clip into the frame if the window,I’ve seen the slider blinds inside the glass,they look much better,but are extra expensive.

Not sure on the building regs south of the border, but loft conversion means coping with the fire door requirements if more than 2 storeys...
Separately, from a user-friendly point of view, I have found that after building a proper conservatory, folks tend to use that room more than the original sitting room, which is not the case for a loft conversion as that is not so user-friendly for occupants or visitors...
and the deciding factor is quite simply that from a resale viewpoint buyers look at a conservatory as a bonus, and the potential of a loft conversion in the future as an added bonus as it's a cheaper option.
So, on balance, build the conservatory (properly) as you will get your money back and it is more useful in the short term...leaving the loft conversion as the possible future build.
Also, in very many cases, putting in a proper access to a loft conversion means losing a room, or part of one, on the floor below, so gaining 1 room above, at the loss of 1 below, is not a viable proposition...you need to gain 2 rooms, or a bedroom and en-suite in the attic to compensate.
Go for the conservatory...trust me!

Not sure on the building regs south of the border, but loft conversion means coping with the fire door requirements if more than 2 storeys...
Separately, from a user-friendly point of view, I have found that after building a proper conservatory, folks tend to use that room more than the original sitting room, which is not the case for a loft conversion as that is not so user-friendly for occupants or visitors...
and the deciding factor is quite simply that from a resale viewpoint buyers look at a conservatory as a bonus, and the potential of a loft conversion in the future as an added bonus as it's a cheaper option.
So, on balance, build the conservatory (properly) as you will get your money back and it is more useful in the short term...leaving the loft conversion as the possible future build.
Also, in very many cases, putting in a proper access to a loft conversion means losing a room, or part of one, on the floor below, so gaining 1 room above, at the loss of 1 below, is not a viable proposition...you need to gain 2 rooms, or a bedroom and en-suite in the attic to compensate.
Go for the conservatory...trust me!

Once BC sign everything off then you remove the fire doors and sling then in to the skip.

Reply to Conservatories/extra room in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net