Discuss Consumer unit boxing in..................... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

magnoliafan89

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys

As before on my last post. Having a read of the OSG and yet again failing to understand the wording.
This time about consumer units and enclosures. It states that when fitted a dwelling a board must be one of these two;
Manufactured from non combustible material ( this im assuming means a metal board which is what is to be fitted nowadays anyway)

Or

The consumer unit is enclosed in a cabinet constructed from non combustible material.

Obviously im aware that any boards put up now have to be metal and that's all is sold. But what im wondering is; if you had a metal board but say wanted to build a box around it with a way of accessing it would it be ok for the boxing to be say baton and plasterboard? Is it meaning that say if u went to a dwelling that has a plastic board youre not replacing but it is being boxed in (again with acessibility to the board) that the enclosure would need to be of a non combustiable material?

Apologies if ive not got the question out very well and many thanks for replies

Obviously im aware that any boards put up now have to be metal
How do you come to that conclusion when the Regulation categorically states that they do not need to be so long as they are housed in a non-combustible enclosure as you have quoted? (I can nearly guarantee that the cheapest and easiest solution will be a non-combustible DB though.)

Doesnt amendmet 3 state that if you are installing a new board it has to be a metal one? I was always lead to believe at college and whilst working that you can no longer buy plastic boards.

You can still buy them and at a good price but as @Risteard says, the non combustible are now the cheapest and easiest to install because of the AMD3 of BS1761 demand. It would cost as much as some new boards just for the materials to make a non combustible enclosure, would be a fun experiment though (I like riveting things)

Reply to Consumer unit boxing in..................... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock