Discuss Consumer unit brakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jonesyy

Hi I'm on level 1 at college, going for an apprenticeship next year I've flown through my work book and started level 2 book. I have done electrical work in the past and currently go out with an electrician on my days off but does anyone here know a website where I can get all the mcb and rcd lists and what they do? like the amps they are for and stuff I'm wanting to copy and paste to a word doc and keep it to look back on, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Brad.

What is MCB?
Nowadays we use more commonly miniature circuit breaker or MCB in low voltage electrical network instead of fuse.
The MCB has some advantages compared to fuse.
  1. It automatically switches off the electrical circuit during abnormal condition of the network means in over load condition as well as faulty condition. The fuse does not sense but miniature circuit breaker does it in more reliable way. MCB is much more sensitive to over current than fuse.

1. basically like that above, I'm wanting all the mcb and rcd to put on a word doc and info like the voltage and amps they are for like I know a ring goes on a 32a mcb and that's what I'm after if that's any help

What is MCB?
Nowadays we use more commonly miniature circuit breaker or MCB in low voltage electrical network instead of fuse.
The MCB has some advantages compared to fuse.
  1. It automatically switches off the electrical circuit during abnormal condition of the network means in over load condition as well as faulty condition. The fuse does not sense but miniature circuit breaker does it in more reliable way. MCB is much more sensitive to over current than fuse.

1. basically like that above, I'm wanting all the mcb and rcd to put on a word doc and info like the voltage and amps they are for like I know a ring goes on a 32a mcb and that's what I'm after if that's any help
They are referred to as cbs now I seem to remember

Quite correct Pete they are supposed to be called cbs.
Op, you can't narrow down a circuit breaker for a specific use. A 32A breaker can be used for ring finals, cookers etc. A 16A breaker could be used for lighting and power. Fuses offer circuit protection in the same way however they need replacing after rupturing and semi enclosed BS3036 fuses may be prone to abuse in some circumstances.

Get a few good catalogues and look at what's available in them and the makes etc. Read the bs7671 as is said and get your head around why a fault current/ short circuit current does what it does to protect life, livestock and installation cable and accessories. It's a head thing first.

Hi I'm on level 1 at college, going for an apprenticeship next year I've flown through my work book and started level 2 book. I have done electrical work in the past and currently go out with an electrician on my days off but does anyone here know a website where I can get all the mcb and rcd lists and what they do? like the amps they are for and stuff I'm wanting to copy and paste to a word doc and keep it to look back on, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Brad.
Any good to you
http://thegrid.rexel.com/en-us/prod...es-of-circuit-breakers-and-their-applications

Reply to Consumer unit brakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net