Discuss Consumer unit in a Bathroom!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SpannerSpark

Got called to a house at the weekend to do a like for like change on an outside light. it always seems like a bit of grey area if a MW is required but as i am only qualified recently i always do a MW for the practice. Anyway went into the property and when i asked to see the CU the lady showed me to the bathroom. the CU was in a wooden cupboard in the bathroom a bit above the sink, surely thats not ok. Even if its just from a no IP rating point of view. Although it was an older split load (RCD one side for skts etc and lights on a non- RCD side), the odd thing was that it was put in pretty well, a converted TT to PME, all bonding done etc. What does everyone think? :confused:

i would guess that when it was installed, the bathroom wasn't a bathroom at the time. just wonder whatcode to put on a periodic. At least the shower cable run will be a short one

Last edited:
shouldnt the feed to the cu should be protected by a 30mA rcd? as the cu will still be live on the incomer after mcbs's/rcd's have tripped.

I know what you mean about being in a cuboard, i know this sounds extremen but isnt that like saying if the consumer unit is in a box or cuboard you would allow this cuboard to be in any of the zones 0,1 or 2 in a bathroom?

I know what you mean about being in a cuboard, i know this sounds extremen but isnt that like saying if the consumer unit is in a box or cuboard you would allow this cuboard to be in any of the zones 0,1 or 2 in a bathroom?

You can't legislate for every single eventuality, as the competent person, you have to decide if the position constitutes a particular risk (doubtful).

Equipment must be suitable for the environment it is installed in with regard to external influences, if there was evidence of a build up of condensation then I'd be recording a code 2 on a periodic inspection.

Yup unfortunately the cupboard is the saver on this one, i have seen it before and in other odd places, but regardless, as a customer would you really want it to stay in the bathroom???? Very odd.
Manchester builders & plumbers

Imagine the costs involved in moving it, if the service head is in there then the DNO cost alone would ensure a lengthy stay in that cupboard!

You can't legislate for every single eventuality, as the competent person, you have to decide if the position constitutes a particular risk (doubtful).

Equipment must be suitable for the environment it is installed in with regard to external influences, if there was evidence of a build up of condensation then I'd be recording a code 2 on a periodic inspection.

Agreed.
Have seen such arrangements aplenty. Never ideal, but more often than not, there`s no appreciably hightened risk. Do you tell a customer they must have their CU moved, at considerable cost & inconvenience, when its current location may have given trouble free service for decades?
In these situations a balance of regs to risk must be drawn... is the housing likely to be sprayed by water from showers etc? is it suitably protected against the likely ingress at that position? can the door be secured in a closed position (they`re usually hinged from the top)? would access to the CU pose particular risk if power was lost (particularly lighting)?

Got called to a house at the weekend to do a like for like change on an outside light. it always seems like a bit of grey area if a MW is required but as i am only qualified recently i always do a MW for the practice. Anyway went into the property and when i asked to see the CU the lady showed me to the bathroom. the CU was in a wooden cupboard in the bathroom a bit above the sink, surely thats not ok. Even if its just from a no IP rating point of view. Although it was an older split load (RCD one side for skts etc and lights on a non- RCD side), the odd thing was that it was put in pretty well, a converted TT to PME, all bonding done etc. What does everyone think? :confused:

Mate, I'm pretty sure that a contributor to this site had the same problem a few months ago, and asked the same thing. The general consenus was that it would comply with the regs, as it is out of zone. And also reading your post, if things are RCD protected, then, that should be sweet as, as well.

Reply to Consumer unit in a Bathroom!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net