Discuss Consumer Unit - Isolator and earthing in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
In the future I would like the upgrade the consumer unit within my flat as to be able to add additional circuits (as the current one is plastic and is tiny).

However there is no means of isolation from the incoming supply, there is also no earth from the incoming supply either which is another issue.

I have been in contact with Northern Powergrid who are the regional distribution, they are happy to sort out the earthing situation however they reckon its my utilities company (EDF) who are responsible for fitting an isolator before the consumer unit?

Is this information correct?

Presumably there is more than 1 flat in your 'building' as is usual? If so there may/should be a means of isolation somewhere else?

It is a tyneside flat, so a big house 1 downstairs 1 upstairs.

The supply comes from my loft from outside into the main fuse and downstairs supply pops out and downs through the floor/their ceiling

Try EDF then. It would be 'normal' for the isolator in a meter box, to be fitted after the meter. Guess that's what the DNO (NP) are saying.

Perhaps while sorting out your earthing (what earthing do you currently have?), the DNO could secure their supply cable slightly better.

A wider shot of the the meter / consumer unit would be helpfull.
Plus any visible Earthing .

Just been in touch with EDF and they are going to install an isolator.

As for the earthing. There is none. Not sure whethe anything in connected via the downstairs flat but it doesn’t appear so unless I’m just being stupid :) I’ve been in contact with northern power grid and they suggest i apply for them to come out and look/sort it out.

As for the earthing. There is none. Not sure whethe anything in connected via the downstairs flat but it doesn’t appear so unless I’m just being stupid :) I’ve been in contact with northern power grid and they suggest i apply for them to come out and look/sort it out.

I would like to think you have some form of earthing. If not, you need to switch off your electric now :)

A wider shot of your meter/main fuse (as snowhead suggested) might let us sleep easy tonight.

I don't want to be unkind, but the DNO won't "sort your earthing out" They will confirm if PME, which it looks like, but it is your decision which you use, if PME you will need to prove bonding. Or alternatively RCCDs+wiring regulations bonding which is different.

Looks like a TT system then. Any RCDs in the board?

Looks like there's a bit of green in the cavity below the board, could be going to an electrode somewhere.

What earthing does the other flat have?

Is it possible your earthing is connected downstairs flat's earthing terminal? If it's not a purpose built flat then that may be the case.

If you are in the upstairs flat and by the look of the photo there is a supply in and out to downstairs is it an overhead supply?

Looks like it comes out through the ground, up the side of the wall in through loft down into upstairs flat then down to downstairs flat.

Thats just what it looks like, without properly investigating.

Reply to Consumer Unit - Isolator and earthing in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net