Discuss Consumer unit (main board) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gakure

-
Reaction score
Dear forumist.
Am a bit baffled, I went a customer house earlier to advice on electrical installation for an external shed.
I said to them they will need a new circuit and obviously need an EIC certificate.
I went to check on CU board but all I could find was as attached photos. One biggish old mems main isolator and small where all power and lights come from.
I have tried to locate another CU in the whole 3 bedroom semi with no joy. Do one of you longtime experience sparkie know where else to check, if nothing else available is this configuration acceptable?
Am struggling to add the photos, i will try in a seperate thread

Dear forumist.
Am a bit baffled, I went a customer house earlier to advice on electrical installation for an external shed.
I said to them they will need a new circuit and obviously need an EIC certificate.
I went to check on CU board but all I could find was as attached photos. One biggish old mems main isolator and small where all power and lights come from.
I have tried to locate another CU in the whole 3 bedroom semi with no joy. Do one of you longtime experience sparkie know where else to check, if nothing else available is this configuration acceptable?

20180507_131201.jpg

20180507_131216.jpg

20180507_131339.jpg

There are 4 fuse carriers inside usually 1 lighting 1 ring 1 cooker and 1 heating circuit, I came across one about a month ago and this was the inside of it. As @Murdoch said be very aware that there is a very high possibility of asbestos rope flash guards inside.

E55D89C0-6672-4AF5-9132-2FF59B6E369A.jpeg

the big box is the fuseboard ..........but beware it may well have asbestos in it
Thanks Murdoch, I didn't open it, would it have some breakers/ separate circuit inside?
With regards to asbestors apart from getting asbestos guys to test or remove the board, how can I tell.
I did asbestos course but i can't remember them training us on metal surfaces.

Big switch has 4 fuses in a 2x2 formation. It would have been normal in a really old house. Just out of the ordinary that it hasn't been changed yet. Is it an old house (like REALLY old?

The asbestos is the held behind the fuse, little bit of white material.

You could get a CU change job out of this, but I'd press for a full rewire :)

Will it be adviseable to install a new board and gently move the circuits. Then leave the board where it is? Or do you think there is possibility of disturbing the rope which in that case I won't touch it.

Big switch has 4 fuses in a 2x2 formation. It would have been normal in a really old house. Just out of the ordinary that it hasn't been changed yet. Is it an old house (like REALLY old?

Thanks littlespark, especially now they want another circuit for the shed.
In addition, both water and water bonding are 4mm2 with what look like 10mm2 meter tails.
Main earthing 6mm2 TN-S

You could cut the outgoing cables without pulling the fuses, thus not disturbing the asbestos.
The asbestos was used in fusewire filled carriers rather than the cartridge fuses. You can tell by the shape of the fuse holder. Rosco's pic shows cartridge type. Of course, you cant tell without pulling a fuse.;)
Actually, no. You would see the white between the carrier and the holder.

What is coming out the smaller switch to the left? A T&E from the top? I can see it's got its own set of tails.

I am assuming is an e council house with good solid walls. Maybe 50yrs or there about

If the house is that old and ex council depending on where abouts in the country it is, then it might pay to have an asbestos survey done.. especially if you are going to be going through walls and floors with a new circuit or partial/full rewire? some councils when these houses were built some councils fell in love with asbestos and used it quite liberally without knowing the true dangers. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
you could leave the existing fuse board in situ and as mentioned install a new one and run cables to that, extending where necessary.

If the house is that old and ex council depending on where abouts in the country it is, then it might pay to have an asbestos survey done.. especially if you are going to be going through walls and floors with a new circuit or partial/full rewire? some councils when these houses were built some councils fell in love with asbestos and used it quite liberally without knowing the true dangers. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
you could leave the existing fuse board in situ and as mentioned install a new one and run cables to that, extending where necessary.
Thanks Gavin, it's in kent. You are right, We do alot of work in council houses and dover is know for huge amount of asbestos. In block of flats textured ceiling always return positive results.

Dear forumist.

Dear forumist.
Are you qualified and experienced enough to advise people on the condition of their Electrical installation? when you obviously seem to have little or no knowledge of electrical installations, biggish old mems main isolator, seems to ring alarm bells for me. Sorry for being so blunt.

Last edited:
You could cut the outgoing cables without pulling the fuses, And blowing you cutters to bits in the process, thus not disturbing the asbestos.
The asbestos was used in fusewire filled carriers rather than the cartridge fuses. You can tell by the shape of the fuse holder. Rosco's pic shows cartridge type. Of course, you cant tell without pulling a fuse.;)

What is coming out the smaller switch to the left? A T&E from the top? I can see it's got its own set of tails.
Would have thought the best advice to the person doing the cutting
would be to switch OFF first prior to cutting, but then again I would ull the fuse first.

You could cut the outgoing cables without pulling the fuses, And blowing you cutters to bits in the process, thus not disturbing the asbestos.

Would have thought the best advice to the person doing the cutting
would be to switch OFF first, and prove dead, prior to cutting, but then again I would pull the fuse first.

Are you qualified and experienced enough to advise people on the condition of their Electrical installation? when you obviously seem to have little or no knowledge of electrical installations, biggish old mems main isolator, seems to ring alarm bells for me. Sorry for being so blunt.
Thanks Pete, your concern is understandable and varied, I will say am qualified but never experience the above situation and hence i asked the question.
It will be rude to the forumiat just to ask the question to test their knowledge unless I disclaim it from begining.
I have never class myaelf experience or qualified enough as I always have room to learn more or improve myself knowledge hence asking and orotecting my dignity instead of rushing to advise.
All in all i take your point on board, i was taught to alway respect and listen yo elders.
Thanks

Reply to Consumer unit (main board) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net