Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Consumer Unit "off" bathroom? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. DavidUK

DavidUK EF Member

Hi all, hope this is the correct section...?

We're buying a bungalow shortly and intend to do some alterations. One of those converts the utility room (photo below) into a bathroom. In the photo the consumer unit is in a short passageway to a larder. The door at the back will be replaced by a solid wall and so the consumer unit will be surrounded on three sides by solid walls at that point...

[​IMG]

Two questions:

1/ If I put an internal door, door frame, and fill in the wall above, on the open side of this so as to create a "room" approx. 1m square, would this alone satisfy electrical regs? If not, what else would I need to ensure is done?

2/ If I demolish the right hand wall and the wall behind the fridge (behind which is a single WC/cloaks) and the consumer unit is then fully exposed in the new bathroom, is there any sort of enclosure that can isolate the CU, i.e. a type of box/cupboard fitted over it?

Many thanks for any help.

2. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    What does the consumer unit supply at present?

3. Archy Styrigg

Archy Styrigg Forum Mentor

I would consider moving the consumer unit to the other side of that door or out of the new bathroom however you end up configuring the layout. Perfectly possible.

Nice saxophones! :)

4. DavidUK

DavidUK EF Member

The whole house.

5. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Would be my prefered choice.

6. snowhead

snowhead Respected Member

The Bungalow extension looks a lot nicer than the old Conservatory.

I think what we're trying to say is you've left your Flickr account open to all.

7. DavidUK

DavidUK EF Member

Thanks. How do I keep it private?

8. DavidUK

DavidUK EF Member

If I put a new door on the front of the alcove, surely that "moves" it to the other side of that door and puts it out of the new bathroom into the small room I have created?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. DavidUK

DavidUK EF Member

I think I've sorted it. Could someone check and advise please?