Discuss Consumer Unit on Stairwell in HMO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening all. I am quoting some alteration work in an HMO where they are adding 2 bathrooms and a bedroom.

The main board is down in the cellar and there is a sub board on the 1st floor landing in the stair core. Its a 'Steeple' board I believe a Denmans branded board. It is in a bad way, front not fitted properly and blanks missing, you can see the bus bar when you lift the cover :grimacing:.

I may or may not be able to get some blanks and refit the cover correctly to tidy it up but, I think I am going to advise the landlord to upgrade to a AM3 compliant non-combustible board as it seems nuts to me that this is on the only escape route from the top floor and it is not in any type of non-combustible enclosure.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. i.e. Would you agree the upgrade should be done? This is a new customer and second job and I don't want him thinking I am creating work but I feel it is unsafe as is. Also I will be modifying circuits which come from this board.

It does not need to be replaced for a metal one to be made safe.
To be made safe the exposed live parts should have been dealt with immediately. What action did you take ?

May want to check with LBC as their HMO building regs may require a CU in a fire escape to be fire rated. And adding circuits may trigger that. Worth a check?

Hi - having cup-o-tea and looked at website of LBC I use (Reading). I think they require a fire rated CU.

From page 4 : "Any electric or gas meters in the (escape) route must be enclosed in half-hour fire resisting construction. "

http://www.reading.gov.uk/media/139...rds-In-Mandatory-Licensable-HMOs-May-2008.pdf

That is for licenced HMOs. Not all HMOs are licenced. I believe the guidance and requirements for licenced HMOs are usually stipulated by individual councils.
The passage you refer to mentions meters, not distribution boards. In this case the distribution board is not the main one so not likely to be near the meter. The passage mentions half hour fire resisting construction, not non combustible. Plasterboard, as an example, will offer 30 minute protection.

I would strongly advise the client to replace the CU. If they don't agree, walk away.....

I would argue even fitting blanks is still dangerous as you do not need a tool or key to open cover or remove blanks so not safe. So...advise client new CU should be considered to make safe.

Last time I tried to remove one of those lid blanks without a tool, I broke a finger nail and had to go to the salon and get it fixed :rolleyes:

Reply to Consumer Unit on Stairwell in HMO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock