Discuss Consumer Unit Query - Location Specifications in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Ive had a call from a customer who is in need of a CU upgrade - upon visitation and inspection i noticed that i couldn't gain access to the CU, this is due to the previous home owner having a new Gas boiler installed (im sorry i didnt take a picture, wish i had if now though) i could lift up the plastic glass inspection cover but that was about it, actually taking the front cover off would be nigh on impossible because the boiler fitters had re fitted the new boiler within inches of the CU.
i explained to the customer that the CU needs to be relocated well away from the Gas Boiler and this would mean a couple of things.
1st the exsisting cabling would need to be extended into the new CU location ..... but
2ndly and more importantly Western Power would need to be notified to re-route the incoming supply, meter tails etc etc

Ive explained to the customer that this is going to be pricy and out of my control, its something that needs to be done in order for the work to be done correctly and certified ..... they are not happy claiming its their property and they do not need to inform anyone.

my question is is there a specification in the regs (i have looked) that gives a requirement for distance between a CU and gas boiler, or am i over complicating the situation

cheers in advance

CU and incoming supply needs to be accessible and have plenty of work place, wich it is not. Boiler should have never have been installed there till wiring was moved

Don't think you need to provide a picture if it's anything like this one:-

Thank You Mr. Wetpants, You Inconsiderate Imbecile - https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/thank-you-mr-wetpants-you-inconsiderate-imbecile.136249/

Does the incoming supply have to be moved or could you run SWA to the new consumer unit location?

I could do that to be fair, via a Henley Block, but thinking out load here i would still need to access the Incoming supply from the meter (tags and all that !!! ) the job has to be certified.

The new Owners have been in the property a few years now so il ask if they know who the previous owners used to moved to the boiler

See OSG sect. 2.3
Or
BS 6891 (Which is what the plumber should be working to).

Deals with gas installation pipework. But I'm sure that would include the boiler.

Quote. 150mm from electric supply equipment. ....... including distribution boards or consumer units.

Also, should not be placed in a manner that prevents the operation of any electrical accessory.

See OSG sect. 2.3
Or
BS 6891 (Which is what the plumber should be working to).

Deals with gas installation pipework. But I'm sure that would include the boiler.

Quote. 150mm from electric supply equipment. ....... including distribution boards or consumer units.

Also, should not be placed in a manner that prevents the operation of any electrical accessory.
or rule of thumb ,to close to that s88T.

Reply to Consumer Unit Query - Location Specifications in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock