Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Consumer Unit RCBO advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Terence Arnold

Terence Arnold EF Member

Hi

I'm ordering a Hager 10 way split load CU and also want to order some RCBOs. I have an old house(1930s) that was rewired in the 1980s then I moved in and built a double height extension in the 1990s.

The lighting and power in old house are on separate circuits and the lighting and power in the extension are on separate circuits. I'd like to put th lighting and power old house circuits on RCBOs and also a 9.8KW shower.

I know I should be ordering Hager type B RCBOs but I heard they do reduced height ones which would be better but the only ones I can find on Sparksdirect are the type A reduced height. Also they don't do an RCBO that would be OK for the shower circuit(45 amp). Are the type A ones ok or should I just get full height type Bs? Also I assum I will just have to have the shower on an 45A MCB?

My sparks coming next thursday to do the job .

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

Ask your sparks what type to order then.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

You can't fit RCBO's in a split load CU. Think you need to discuss this with your sparks. Don't know many that would do the project this way, you buying the materials.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

Have you not discussed this with the electrician that is coming to do the job on Thursday?
    What has the electrician quoted for?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. richy3333

richy3333 Forum Mentor

Yet again blinding! Given as you are probably trying to save money be aware the shorter RCBO’s are more expensive. You also have the wrong C.U.
    As has benn said, ask your sparks!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

Soooo glad none of my customers are like this.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. TJ Anderson

TJ Anderson Forum Mentor

Terence....Murdoch will be along in a sec with a step by step guide for install........:)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. Flanders

Flanders Regular EF Member

As above You are ordering the wrong consumer unit if you are fitting some seperate rcbo , if you are getting parts yourself ask the sparks to give you a full list of parts as there will plenty of sundries, no need to get the shorter rcbos there plenty of room in the hager CUs for the longer rcbos

• Like Like x 1
  9. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Or just get the sparks to get the stuff, unless you insist on saving £50.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Terence Arnold

Terence Arnold EF Member

Already spoken to Spark, he told me he could do this, would just use one of the RCDs for the remaining circuits and would put the circuits I wanted on RCBOs. THis is the Consumer Unit, it is configurable so why wouldn't it be able to be used?:
    VML710CU - Hager 10 Way Metal Consumer Unit Amendment 3 with 8 MCB Breakers FREE, Split Load Config 100A Sw 2x63A 30mA RCCB - https://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/hager-10-way-metal-consumer-unit-amendment-3-with-8-mcb-breakers-free-split-load-config-100a-sw-2x63a-30ma-rccb

Reason I'm asking about RCBOs here is cos I wanted to order today and ccan't get hold of him at the moment.

11. TJ Anderson

TJ Anderson Forum Mentor

Go all RCBO or go Dual Split.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Terence Arnold

Terence Arnold EF Member

I'm not particularly trying to save money, if I was I wouldn't be bothering about RCBOs would I? I just wanted a decent CU putting in and found a good deal on Hager . The spark has quoted £200 for fitting.testing,cert etc I'm providing CU and RCBOs. He was quite happy with this or to provide an MK CU himself but I thought Hager was a bit better quality?

13. TJ Anderson

TJ Anderson Forum Mentor

If you are going RCBO then you just need a main switch CU without RCD's

14. TJ Anderson

TJ Anderson Forum Mentor

£200 seems steep for an hours work!!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. TJ Anderson

TJ Anderson Forum Mentor

I'm joking. That's a good deal.

• Like Like x 3