Discuss Consumer Unit RCBO advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for the reply, I'm grateful. I know I don't need the RCBOs, its just as the older wiring was done in the 80s it might be better if I put those circuits on RCBOs so if there are problems(As I'm moving from a fused CU to MCBs) only the individual circuit would go down. I thought this because I was told RCDs are likely to trip when theres problems that wouldn't affect a CU that has fuses. I'm quite prepared to pay the spark extra to check there are no faults on the older wiring and make sure RCDs won't be tripping.

His inspection and tests will identify exactly what condition your wiring is in and also ensure it will not have existing faults on your system that would cause an RCD to operate. 30 years for PVC/PVC cable is fine and should still be in excellent condition. It's if it's been installed badly / bodged since that there can be issues. ...

Last edited:
We don't install RCBOs due to the age of the installation. Get your electrician to either buy the materials or give you a list of what is needed rather than second guess and try to do it yourself cheaply.

We don't install RCBOs due to the age of the installation. Get your electrician to either buy the materials or give you a list of what is needed rather than second guess and try to do it yourself cheaply.

Why would you not install rcbos due to the age of installation?? I dont install dual rcd units on cu change only rcbos.. only install dual rcd units on new wiring eg rewire/ new builds.

Why would you not install rcbos due to the age of installation?? I dont install dual rcd units on cu change only rcbos.. only install dual rcd units on new wiring eg rewire/ new builds.
Why Dual RCD on rewire/new builds and RCBO on CU change?
Why not Dual RCD on all or RCBO on all, or offer the paying customer the choice?

Most common cause of faults I've come across is not the wiring, it's appliances, central heating, immersion heater and damp/moisture/water.

Why Dual RCD on rewire/new builds and RCBO on CU change?
Why not Dual RCD on all or RCBO on all, or offer the paying customer the choice?

Most common cause of faults I've come across is not the wiring, it's appliances, central heating, immersion heater and damp/moisture/water.

As its usually 20+ years old wiring set up on cu changes i find that fitting a dual rcd cu is a really poor option due to wiring issues, borrowed neutrals, accumalative leakage i dont feel that giving a cu that if one circuit developes a fault then it should not take out other circuits which dont have faults, after all this is what the customer with the rewirable fusesis used to i.e individual circuit protection.
I dont particulary enjoy cu changes anyway so i quote rcbo boards only on cu upgrades, i do get undercut by people quoting dual board but i am ok with that.
I will offer a dual board on a rewire/new build as all wiring is new by me & these are jobs i am more interested in winnin so quote dual rcd cu & when it comes to installing cu i will give them option (£150) ish extra for allrcbos but usually they dont bother.

Money not a problem to within snsble limits, lol. I see what your saying about why not go full RCBO. I'm quite prepared to spend the extra for a good fully RCBO consumer unit. I've seen MK have a 12 way with 6 RCBOs -are these good quality? My spark said he liked them(from screwfix) . I know the CU and RCBOs could be sourced separetly but would rather purchase the whole kaboodle in one go. Will have a look to see whats available.

Last edited:
I would recommend you discuss this face to face with your spark before spending any money ,......

And I have lost count of the number of fuseboard changes where the expected quantities and ratings of rcbos has changed on the day .... I carry stock and spares so that isn’t an issue ...

Reply to Consumer Unit RCBO advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net