Discuss consumer unit /renew back board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi guys I need to replace the chipboard that my consumer unit is fixed to, is it safe to unscrew the plastic front cover and unscrew the consumer unit ,remove and re screw to a new ply back board (the unit is from wickes about 15 yrs old so it has the rcd things) I wont be touching the wires just replaceing the wood its fixed to ,I work in the construction industry but I'm only a groundworker ! but I do know a bit of basic stuff but any advice would be appreciated thanks colin

Does the CU have an isolator between the meter and the CU so you can isolate the CU?
Can you post a pic of the existing CU and it's surroundings.

I'd say you should be fine but whenever you have the cover off make sure the whole board is turned off, is there a separate main switch between the meter and board, if so it would make for a safer job for you.

hi guys I need to replace the chipboard that my consumer unit is fixed to, is it safe to unscrew the plastic front cover and unscrew the consumer unit ,remove and re screw to a new ply back board (the unit is from wickes about 15 yrs old so it has the rcd things) I wont be touching the wires just replaceing the wood its fixed to ,I work in the construction industry but I'm only a groundworker ! but I do know a bit of basic stuff but any advice would be appreciated thanks
put a pic on here of the whole board wood be nice!

Is that double socket mounted on the board you want to replace?
How do you intend to keep the CU in relative position while replacing the board?
Are you happy with putting a screwdriver into a CU that will still be live?

think you'll find that the cables all come through the weetabix board into rear enrtyto the CU. replacing the back board would entail completely stripping and rewiring the CU, so you might as well go for a more up to date CU. need an electrician for that. the dreaded member "spoon" is local to you.

I think you would struggle to change the board without removing the CU as it looks like the cabling is rear entry.

Edit ... beaten to it by others.... again

hi the double socket is separate to the cu ,ive got an insulated screw driver ,my thoughts are cut a hole in a new piece of ply cut ply in half suspend cu from celling joist whislt i remove old one ,fix top section of ply to wall fit top screw s of cu to new ply ,slide bottom section of ply to wall fix cu to bottom ply ,does that sound possible or am i best getting a sparks from work to do a foriener?

buzz, you've already been sent to the death star's garbage crusher. your next mission will be to scrub out the reactor core ( whilst at warp 10, of course ).

hi the double socket is separate to the cu ,ive got an insulated screw driver ,my thoughts are cut a hole in a new piece of ply cut ply in half suspend cu from celling joist whislt i remove old one ,fix top section of ply to wall fit top screw s of cu to new ply ,slide bottom section of ply to wall fix cu to bottom ply ,does that sound possible or am i best getting a sparks from work to do a foriener?
if you cut the sections of ply out to accommodate all the cables. that would be a solution.

With all the jiggling about you would need to check and retighten all the terminations in the board.

Loose connections can cause fires.

If you have a friendly Sparks at work to help you out you could work together and the job wouldn't take long, careful use of a multitool would remove the need to dis/reconnect the entire CU, while you're at it though ask about the benefits of upgrading to RCD protection.

Reply to consumer unit /renew back board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock