Discuss Consumer unit upgrade with no slack on existing cables in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Arrangement in post 10 isn't good practice. The green/yellow DIN connectors connect electrically to the DIN rail, so the CPCs are all connected in parallel at that point, and won't be isolated from each other when disconnected from the earth bar in the CU for testing purposes.
If you do use an arrangement like this, use ordinary DIN connectors (same as used for the live and neutral wire), except for possibly the joiner used for the largest CPC, if you want to earth the rail.

View attachment 42036 If there's room I would of fitted an adaptable box with a din rail and din rail connectors. Mounted the new CU under neath and brought the extended circuits through. Like in this pic I've just found on google.
Nice only problem though is looking at it I’m assuming that the JB is plastic? Not really fitting with the spirit of the reg about metal Consumer units :tearsofjoy: in all seriousness though nice neat job:thumbsup: F**k I should really read the whole post before I open my mouth I only just went back and saw you post THAT I FOUND ON GOOGLE:rolleyes: Also why didn’t they just move the board up a bit in that situation seems like everything is coming in from the top anyway?

Last edited:
Nine times out of ten, when replacing a domestic consumer unit, it needs to be lowered to comply with accessibility recommendations.
AMD3 applies to consumer units and the like. No mention of materials for junction boxes.

Reply to Consumer unit upgrade with no slack on existing cables in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net