Discuss Consumer unit ...which way to go? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Early in the new year, I have the need to leave the comfort of the industrial world and take on a rare domestic job (rewire of my brothers new house)

Its a 4 bed house and to get it how he eventually wants it, a CU with plenty of room for expansion is a must. As usual though, budget is tight so I am trying to source a CU at a reasonable price. Work wise for 3 phase, we use either Hager or Schneider acti9 but the domestic versions of these will prove a bridge too far as will going all rcbo.

I have so far found a British General 22 module high integity unit and a Wylex 21 module high integrity unit, both of which will fit the bill future proofing wise but and there is always a but, are either of these any good and if you had to choose between them, which way would you swing?

Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice.

ATB

Chris

Hager doesmt have to cost too much. Ignore the rrp prices for hager. You can pick up the stuff quite reasonably from discount-electrical.co.uk. its not cheapest but the quality is very good.
Im not a mk fan but believe it or not i fitted a click board from denmans recently. Only as the lady worked for them so got it very cheap. But the cu was very spacious.so ideal for rcbos.
I would go all rcbos myself. Allows for flexibility.

A bit more for good quality, with a 4 bed rewire, isn't going to break the bank........or is it?

Thanks for the advice and opinions so far, all much appreciated. Thanks for the link to the thread, looks like Hager is the unit of choice, I will have to have another look at the pricing and see how it comes out.

If it was me, I would be going all rcbo without a second thought but the budget is tight and I am trying to do what I can to keep costs reasonable.

Part P wise, I have 2 options, notify to buildings control myself as part of other planned works or best pal who I trained with and still help out when he is rushed off is NICEIC approved contractor so i can go that way.

Thanks again,

Chris

If it was me, I would be going all rcbo without a second thought but the budget is tight and I am trying to do what I can to keep costs reasonable.

Hum ......... just tell them how it is and give them the option to change to a RCBO board.

I bet they have thousands for their nice new kitchen ..... and bathrooms

Part P wise, I have 2 options, notify to buildings control myself as part of other planned works or best pal who I trained with and still help out when he is rushed off is NICEIC approved contractor so i can go that way.
In order for you to rewire you brothers property the route you are taking might be difficult with the building control for p part
if you are going to wire it you self and your mate is going to sign it off
the NICEIC will not except third party for testing some bodies electrical work .

I think the wires may be crossed a wee bit regards the part p aspect. The method we are expecting to follow is notify buildings control and let them complete first fix and final inspection/ testing (£252 for Birmingham city council to provide this service)

My pal doing the sign off is not out prefered method.

ATB

Chris

when any work is carried out regarding part p through the relevant body's all jobs have a unique number registered to the installer
to the building control so they know what jobs they have done .

That is exactly how i read it. We notify Birmingham council buildings control via a printed off form in the post, they send by return an application number which we then use when contacting their sub contractor to arrange inspections/testing.

Once the sub contractor is happy with our work and testing is complete, a completion certificate is issued.

All sounds far too straight forward for Birmingham city council..........on paper anyway......I wonder how it works in the real world?

ATB

Chris

some councils prefer the electrical bodies option. the inspector working for the council will not be niceic or eca elecsa have said before no third party testing .but good luck what ever you do .

My work will be safe and comply fully with the regs. As long as I know that and the council have their paperwork in order then that should be everyone happy.

I am not some clueless diyer trying to do a trained spark out of a job, I have a 4 year apprenticeship behind me, C&G & NVQ qualifications, 17th regs and years of working in the industrial sector, a house rewire may not be my bread and butter but I am confident I can take it on and send the council inspector away happy.

ATB

Chris

some councils prefer the electrical bodies option. the inspector working for the council will not be niceic or eca elecsa have said before no third party testing .but good luck what ever you do .
You might be surprised, Around this way the council send the building control sign offs to electrical contractors the council are happy with, normally jib graded, apprentice time served sparks, often Niceic approved contractors in there own business. but when signing off for building control purposes they assume the hat of council inspector so scheme membership and rules is not so important as they have the councils building control inspectors authority for the inspection.

Just to echo Murdoch, when you look at the price of the house, the kitchen and bathroom(s) and the load factors, a proper installation is a minor cost, and is where money should be spent initally, planning for the future. Add the induction hob and range cookers, UFH and spa-baths later...knowing your installation is ready and waiting and fit for purpose. Would you spend £100s of thousands on the house itself, then not pay a few quid more to insure it? Sorry for the mini-rant, but the emphasis is all wrong when it is the gloss and glitz that matters,not the foundations.
However, to some degree it's all about educating the client. In a former life, if the client wouldn't take my advice, I sent them away...sometimes they reconsidered and returned, and long-term relationships were formed. One thing I have learned from this forum is that so many of you professional sparks really believe in the "start strong from the ground up" theory. Clients will ask for all sorts of fancy stuff they can see and show off, but suggest you might have to bust a bit of plasterboard/lift some floorboards etc and they go ape-----...at the cost and the mess.
Let's buy a fast powerboat, but no lifejackets...

My work will be safe and comply fully with the regs. As long as I know that and the council have their paperwork in order then that should be everyone happy.

I am not some clueless diyer trying to do a trained spark out of a job, I have a 4 year apprenticeship behind me, C&G & NVQ qualifications, 17th regs and years of working in the industrial sector, a house rewire may not be my bread and butter but I am confident I can take it on and send the council inspector away happy.

ATB

Chris

As Gavin alluded to, convince your LBC of your competency & qualification, and save the £252.

'What are the requirements of Part P? As of 1 January 2005 it is a legal requirement for all work on fixed electrical installations in dwellings and associated buildings to comply with relevant standards. The relevant UK standard is BS 7671:2008, 'Requirements for electrical installations' (The IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition). BS 7671 covers requirements for design, installation, inspection, testing, verification and certification'. (citation IET).

If you can design, install, inspect & test to the requirements of BS7671, you are complying with Part P. Have a read of 3.9 Part P, and see what you think?

Someone posted this link a while back; Electrician Competence Recognition - The IET - http://www.------.org/policy/collaboration/sa4e/index.cfm
suggesting that's what LBC's use to assess someone's competency in such situations. No idea if that's true.

Worth a punt though, then your brother-in-law could have that shiny Hager CU :)

Reply to Consumer unit ...which way to go? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net